Quantcast
Trying a single bevel, looking for iput and suggestions. - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Trying a single bevel, looking for iput and suggestions.

RIGHT ON!!! Thats not gona be a problem with a couple of the new steels Ill be testing. GOOD TIMES!

Thanks again for your input.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

HHH Custom Knives T Shirts.

Sponsors

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Hi Randy, It is my experiance that you are going to have to move up to natural waterstones to get the effect that you arelooking for. Thes stones are (again in my experiance ) particular about having a slurry on them during use and the slurry needs to be made by rubbing them with another stone not just the blade. This slurry seems to cut the areas between layers a little deeper than the wider layers of steel.

Bill, Thanks so much for your input! This blade is in very capable hands now and after he gets done with it, I may get it back for a short time to handle it. Which at that point I will try and get some good images of it.

As far as the J nats, I would love to get a few natural stones, but not knowing what is what and why I would need this stone or that stone etc. Has slowed me down a bit.

I have tried to read up on it. Yet still cant seem to make heads or tails of most of the info.Seems most of what I find is based on opinion, and that varys greatly among end users. So I get frustrated and just move on!

This was a fun project and a learning experience, I now am one piece away from having a working platen that is approx equal to a 48" wheel, and that should make some of this a bit easier and much more consistent on the back side. And I plan to make another go of this style grind soon.

Thanks a bunch to all who have shared there knowledge and posted.
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Sponsors

Randy a good starting place for polishing stone is to buy a sword polishing kit from Namikawa heibe in Japan. they have several dealers in the us i believe. these are entry level stones and there are some synthetic stones in the kit but at least you can get an idea of what you are doing with a relatively inexpensive kit before you move on to buy single stonesand spending big bucks on them.

Great advice, Thanks again Bill! I have another question I wanted to ask ya and Chuck told me I need to call you.

try a King 800 for producing pattern with a stone. it's a good looking knife.

Sponsors

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Great advice, Thanks again Bill! I have another question I wanted to ask ya and Chuck told me I need to call you.
    call away two oh 8, three 3 six, 3seven nine two

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Bill, Thanks so much for your input! This blade is in very capable hands now and after he gets done with it, I may get it back for a short time to handle it. Which at that point I will try and get some good images of it.

As far as the J nats, I would love to get a few natural stones, but not knowing what is what and why I would need this stone or that stone etc. Has slowed me down a bit.

I have tried to read up on it. Yet still cant seem to make heads or tails of most of the info.Seems most of what I find is based on opinion, and that varys greatly among end users. So I get frustrated and just move on!

This was a fun project and a learning experience, I now am one piece away from having a working platen that is approx equal to a 48" wheel, and that should make some of this a bit easier and much more consistent on the back side. And I plan to make another go of this style grind soon.

Thanks a bunch to all who have shared there knowledge and posted.
    Randy

Well, you have Maxim here. And Jon.

+ Reply to Thread