Ideas floating around Korin: Sharpening classes (Also Misono & Masamoto at Korin)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
With recent events regarding knife companies giving him official authorization, and people more frequently asking about the knife demonstrations, we were wondering if people would be interested in having an actually class with him.

Right now the problems we are facing are regarding the space and Mr. Sugai, but we are considering it. The showroom isn't very big and I honestly don't know how we are going to hold an actual class. Also Mr. Sugai doesn't feel all that comfortable speaking English, because he doesn't speak it very well. I guess we could always have Vincent or someone translate or explain as they go. Hmm...

Mr. Sugai holding a demo at Gramercy Tavern

By the way, Masamoto's president sent us this very kind comment:

"Each one of our knives are inspected by Japan's #1 sharpener, Mr. Mizuyama (Mr. Sugai's master) to ensure top quality assurance. After they are inspected, we hand pick the best within the best then ship them out to Korin. Korin is our most trusted oversees company. Although we would ideally like our customers to pick up and choose which knife is best fit for them, we fully support Korin for the following reasons:
1. We recognize Mr. Sugai as an accomplished sharpener, whom we give official authorize to put the honbazuke (real blade/initial sharpening), repair and resharpen our products.
2. Korin has a superb eye to look at knives. They have a deep understanding of the differences in quality even within the brand new products.
In fact, to say that Korin is our most trusted company in the world (including Japan) would not be an exaggeration."
- Masamoto's 6 Generation Owner, Masamoto Shouhaku
(Translated by Ms. Kawano's assistant and myself.)

Also, just a heads up... The Misono and Masamoto presidents will be visiting Korin around October. We don't have the exact dates yet but we will be holding an event when they do.

We are all very happy. :)

Congratulations, that speaks very highly of your company!

:)

High praise! I'm sure many in the area would be interested in a knife sharpening demo, though given the intricacies of some of the terms with sharpening I think a translator that knew about sharpening would be important. I have no clue about what kind of space you have available but I would try to keep the class fairly small. I know when I went to Dave's sharpening class I think there were 6 or so of us and I felt it was a great size.

Hmm.. Okay yea, 5-6 people might be do-able. I'm waiting for Mr. Sugai to come home so I can bring this up to him. How long do you guys think would be enough time for a full class? 3~4 hours?

Could you send him to Oregon for a while?

I hope those aren't heat lamps. Ya from what I read on Dave's site the max is 10 people. But having a smaller class until Mr. Sugai gets more comfortable with the set up. I also think this would be slow to catch on, but being Ny you should get many inquiries. Good luck.

I hope those aren't heat lamps. Ya from what I read on Dave's site the max is 10 people. But having a smaller class until Mr. Sugai gets more comfortable with the set up. I also think this would be slow to catch on, but being Ny you should get many inquiries. Good luck.

Yea, I think it would be a very small 5-7 people class if anything. Thanks for your input! :)

Back