Binchotan Charcoal sale at Korin for BBQ season!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score

Binchotan is a traditional Japanese charcoal that is completely different from American charcoal in just about every way possible. Due to the fact that binchotan is chemical free, almost smoke free, and burns at a temperature 300 to 600 degrees higher than American charcoal. The lack of chemical additives and the incredibly high heat preserves the flavorful juices, adds a beautiful sear, and makes anything barbecued on it absolutely delectable.

Tips​

- Put the white binchotan over direct flame with either a charcoal starter or over a netted pot similar to the charcoal starter. This will take up to 30 minutes to 1 hour. KKF members also told me gas torches work too.
You can find the starter pot here: http://korin.com/Charcoal-Starter-Pan-with-Handle

- Mix sumi or aramaru charcoal that light up faster with the white binchotan

- Please note liquid fuel is not enough to burn these white binchotan, you must put binchotan over direct flame to light.

Benefits and Health Value of White Charcoal​

- Filters and absorbs chemicals in water. All water filters have white charcoal in them.

- Absorbs odors
Korin uses it in the pocket knife showcase. We have to keep the showcase humidified, because the pocket knives are really sensitive to humidity and dryness. (The handles start to shrink and etc.) But in efforts to keep the case humidified, the entire case started to smell damp and gross, so we put the binchotan in. It looks pretty too.

- Absorbs dampness
You can put it in your fridge to replace baking soda!

- Produces negative ions that helps the immune system, and decreases electromagnetism. Supposedly, its good to keep next to your bed. I've never tried it though, so I can't vouch for this.

- Reusable! As long as it's not ash, you can reuse binchotan as many times as you want. You could also reuse it by soaking it in water for a few minutes for a better effect.

- Neutralizes and improves soil quality for plants

- Small amounts of binchotan powder can help kill stomach viruses, prevent food poisoning, and stop diarrhea. *Warning: Large amounts is unhealthy.*

- Small amounts in rice cookers increases the rice’s calcium and makes the rice keep for longer.

- Bathing with a little bit of binchotan in the water can help improve one’s blood cycle, hair and skin.

*I got this information at WhiteBinchotan.com. It's a little Engrishy, but it was very helpful.

For more in depth information, check out my other post here: A Lesson on Japanese Charcoal

For restaurants or the BBQ fanatics out there

Somehow me no want ordinaly chacoal anymol

wait.. was that offensive

This charcoal also sounds very interesting.. and once again i am sad for being a swede

LOLOL its fine.

The charcoal is awesome once you get it going.

I hope you can come visit us someday!!

Back