Quantcast
No soy sushi
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No soy sushi

No soy sushi

http://youtu.be/Csok758STJI
    This looked pretty cool.

Yes, I love the concept of every slice of sashimi having its' own condiment. I wish this place was here in Chicago, I am JEALOUS!!!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I do this all the time at my place. Sushi has such a delicately balanced flavor profile and the last thing I need is for someone who doesn't know any better to completely drown the whole thing, completely saturating it in soy sauce making the whole thing taste like, well, just soy sauce. I'm sorry, call me pretentious if you will, but there is a line I draw in the sand when it comes to this stuff. I let the members have whatever they want in regards to substitutions on everything. But this is where I get to say, "No, that's the dish." Don't get me started on pickled ginger either. It does not go on the sushi dammit!!! It is a palate cleanser!! But I'm just a "kitchen guy" what do I know?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Maybe if you cut more potatoes.............................
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Maybe if you were schooled 1000 ways before you got into the kitchen...
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I like the flavors that the various condiments can add to the mix, but I find it more troublesome to eat the nigiri sushi this way. I normally eat with my fingers, tip the piece onto its side and then when I put it in my mouth it's fish-side down onto my tongue. That's not gonna happen with nigiri topped with condiments. I end up with rice on my tongue first and I find that way I don't taste as much of the nuance in the fish. I enjoy some of the sushi I eat this way, but they are the more strongly flavored sushi.

Call me old-fashioned but I still prefer the "classical" nigiri. The "new" way with condiments looks really nice, but I like actually eating the old style better.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Call me old-fashioned but I still prefer the "classical" nigiri. The "new" way with condiments looks really nice, but I like actually eating the old style better.
    I hate all of this new stuff, covered in sauces and piles of stuff, with about twenty different things in the roll. A perfect piece of nigiri without the choice of condiment is the only way, and so difficult to find now.

In my personal experience, in Japan, this is normal. Granted, toppings such as herbs, and other condiments are not placed on each piece of sushi, but each piece of sushi is usually dressed with sauce by the chef. No soy sauce, no wasabi to be added by the customer. In Jiro Dreams of Sushi, as I recall, almost every piece of sushi served by Jiro was served with sauce.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Maybe if you cut more potatoes.............................
    Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete
    Maybe if you were schooled 1000 ways before you got into the kitchen...
    Hahahaha
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    While in Ohio, we went to a Japanese bbq place. My sis. got just a tuna roll, were as I got a red dragon roll. Guess what one everyone ate? Btw, she put both wasabi and pickled ginger on all her rolls. Except the red dragon roll.

I was proud of her any way just because she would never eat fish as a kid. I always would tell her that fresh fish won't taste fishy but what did I know.

+ Reply to Thread