Single bevel test knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I have been wanting to do some single bevel stuff for quite some time. I had one profiled and HT's with the bevel ground in for about 8 months now. I finally got my 48" platen in, so i decided to grind in the urasuki while i was putting the bevels on the last of Zitangy's petties. Now this is my first single bevel knife and it is a tester, so dont judge the lack of proper finishing lol.

Specs:
Blade; 210mm edge W2, with a real dirty 600 grit finish.
Thickness: 2.46mm . Bevel is 13mm tall.
Heel is 47.5mm tall.

Bevel side
2012-06-15_15-59-41_661.jpg

Ura side
2012-06-15_15-59-50_342.jpg

Choil/bevel
2012-06-15_15-59-08_685.jpg

So let me have it!!! lol

I thought it was going to be left-handed!
Nice first run, you SOB.

Ha!!! Next one will be a lefty yanagi i think. Thanks guys.

I like it. When is the pass a round? JK, Looks like you worked out a bunch of stuff just to get this far.

Looks pretty darn good Mike, the hamon is very nice also.

Call it a mioroshi and it's perfect. Staring at mine right now, and I think you've captured the effect. Are you sure this is your first time?

Actually it was made as a mioroshi deba, that is why i made it so thin. It is getting shipped out to get the tar beaten out of it to make sure i did this right. If this one is a winner, i will start a few more :)

So does the profile look good on this? Bevel height? It is pretty similar to a gyuto profile....Only deba i have is a 135 so this is a bit different.

All I know is it looks great!
Can't wait to own the yanagi...what?

Actually it was made as a mioroshi deba, that is why i made it so thin. It is getting shipped out to get the tar beaten out of it to make sure i did this right. If this one is a winner, i will start a few more :)

tick tock, tick tock!

Cut's pretty well! I am not a single bevel expert by any means, but it seems to cut through meat well.

Most mioroshi deba i have found(google search) seem to be in the 4.3-5.5mm thickness. This one was a test to make sure i could do the ura properly. This is not a spot on knife, so i apologize if i made it sound like that.

Ok it got a test run yesterday, cuts pretty damn good!! Ura has some uneven spots in it, but i think that has to do with the fact i had this originally as a 2 bevel knife and hard to get it perfect with the already roughed in bevels lol. Practiced ura on some scrap steel, and got it nice and even, so i am ready to do this!!!

Back