Quantcast
Dave Martell's Core Set of Sharpening Stones
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Martell's Core Set of Sharpening Stones

This is the set of stones that I most often recommend because this is what I reach for everyday....

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/product-p/set1dmcore.htm

This set includes the following...

Beston 500x - A fast cutting yet very slow wearing which are the essential elements that make up a good coarse stone. This Beston 500x leaves a fine finish for this grit range and is an excellant stone for fixing edge chips/nicks as well as more serious grinding tasks. This stone cuts like a 220x but leaves a 500x finish. For knives that skid on diamond plates this stone will grab and go to work. I use this stone to remove edge nicks/chips, to set new bevels, thin edges, and flatten the blade roads of single bevel Japanese knives. I find it to provide great feedback and ease in "feeling the bevel" which helps in holding the knife steady and staying level in use. I keep two soaking in my bucket at all times and have always kept back-ups on hand "just in case of emergency". This stone is a must have in my opinion.

Bester 1200x - This is a nice wide fast cutting yet slow wearing coarse stone. It leaves a fine finish in this grit range and is an excellent stone to start off a normal sharpening session with as it cuts a bevel quickly. I find it to provide great feedback and ease in feeling the bevel which helps in holding the knife steady and staying level.

Suehiro Rika 5k - One of the best feeling/feedback waterstones I've ever used, a pure joy to work with.This stone offers, what appears to be, a 3000x edge (not very shiny) however the edge quality is 5000x, no question about it. This stone makes a great stopping point for double bevel knives.

much more awesomer
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Definitely can't go wrong with that setup.

This has been a great seller for us and I'm happy about this not just because I make a few dollars but because I use and believe in this set and know that this is going to give the new user a great head start with years of use to come. Yeah it's my favorite set up for good reason.

That's cool, Dave: very helpful and a great bargain for new folks to get all the basics covered for under $140!

Yeah, that's a great way to sell them. I can see why it is a top seller.

Btw, Dave, for those of us that bought your core stones back when you were recommending the synthetic blue aoto (2000-3000k), how does that stone fit into your recommendations these days?

Just wondering.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Yeah, that's a great way to sell them. I can see why it is a top seller.

Btw, Dave, for those of us that bought your core stones back when you were recommending the synthetic blue aoto (2000-3000k), how does that stone fit into your recommendations these days?

Just wondering.

k.

That's a very cool stone that I still use all of the time but only on single bevels now. I've found that I get benefits from using it on wide bevels but that it's a tad slippery for me to maintain the really fixed position that a thin double bevel edge needs to make it really crisp. For single bevels though, this is a must have for edge quality (toothiness & deburring) plus looks as well.

I'm not as quick to promote this stone as I used to be though, the issues with it's crackability is something that needs to be considered. I have a strong warning on my site about this.

I sometimes alternate Bester 1200 with JNS 1K, but overall, this is a set that I have used for years and plan on using for years to come, as it works well on carbon and stainless alike.

Thanks for bringing it back, Dave -

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Dave, How does the bester 1200 compare to the bester 2k? wondering if I should get it and the rika.

+ Reply to Thread