Quantcast
What knife to buy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What knife to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by morunas View Post
    A friend of mine mentioned http://www.santoku.dk

Any impressions? How do these compare to the Akifusa?
    Tojiro is a decent knife. The Akifusa will hold an edge longer and the in general, cut a bit better. I find it is not as chippy. However, if I were you, I would buy a thinner knife than the Akifusa. I would consider Gesshin Ginga or Sakai Yusuke, etc. The CarboNEXT is another nice knife. It is better than Tojiro but not as nice as the Aki or the thinner knives.

How does how thin the knife is affect the slicing/chopping?

I could imagine a not too thin knife could provide more control since it would also likely weight more right?
    It's for home usage and I'm not a super experienced slicer just know some basics so could that be a reason for a thicker blade knife? Or is it nonsense what I am saying :P?
    -- nonsense is the essence of existence --

Morunas,

Welcome! I can only add that I just got my first Carter, and how thin the knife is seems to make a huge difference...glides through anything with ease. Weight seems to make no difference for control. I too am a home cook btw and thicker knives seem to get stuck in the food more than the thinner variety--wedging if I have my terms right.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by morunas View Post
    How does how thin the knife is affect the slicing/chopping?

I could imagine a not too thin knife could provide more control since it would also likely weight more right?
    It's for home usage and I'm not a super experienced slicer just know some basics so could that be a reason for a thicker blade knife? Or is it nonsense what I am saying :P?
    Thinner is going to be better, in general. All else being equal, it will pass through objects with less pressure and thus be much easier to control. Think scalpel. Just don't bang on a coconut with it.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats
    Welcome! I can only add that I just got my first Carter, and how thin the knife is seems to make a huge difference...glides through anything with ease. Weight seems to make no difference for control. I too am a home cook btw and thicker knives seem to get stuck in the food more than the thinner variety--wedging if I have my terms right.
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Thinner is going to be better, in general. All else being equal, it will pass through objects with less pressure and thus be much easier to control. Think scalpel. Just don't bang on a coconut with it.
    Ok thanks!

I think there might be a winner knife already

KAGAYAKI CarboNext Santoku
    Cutting edge length: 180mm
    Total Length: 300mm
    Blade Thickness: 2.2mm
    Blade Width: 46mm
    Handle Length:113mm
    Total Weight: 166g

Is the 2.2mm too much? I can see the petty type has 1.8mm but the blade width is also halved which I don't like so much.

Any other "better direct" options?

Cheers!

I'm sure that's a fine choice. However, I would opt for the 210 gyuto instead, if I were you. It is closer to your specs (43 mm tall) and it is thinner and more pointed at the tip.

Hmm what are the differences in terms of usage between a Santoku and Gyuto?

Also what are these Aogami Super? And VG-10? How do they compare to the CarboNext?

Aogami Super costs more in general but has much more thickness...

And you might be right with the Gyuto yes I actually didn't reach to pay attention to it as my eyes were already
    fixed on the Santoku but also the fact that it is longer for the same price could simply justify it.

I mention 4cm I meant more 4cm+. Reason is I don't feel much control with "small width knives".

By the way I am checking the knives here: http://japanesechefsknife.com/
    If you know a better place do say!

Again... thanks!

Aogami Super is not stain resistant steel and will rust easily, if you're not careful. I would recommend stainless. VG10 is fine and JCK is a good place to look. I don't like the Kagayaki VG10 line but the Gekko line is nice. I like the Inazuma line in 19c27 quite a bit, personally. If you're willing to put up with learning how to use your knife and put out more money, Glestain is excellent in many regards. I have tried many, many knives and I still enjoy using my Glestain. A very nice cutter is Hattori HD (VG10) but it will chip more than a lot of other knives.

Ok I think for now I will then stick with the CarboNext Gyuto 210mm. As I understand Gyuto (cow blade? xD) is known to be the/one of the all purposes type of knives. Now I will just be looking for a board to make it justice :P