Quantcast
Anyone grind their own hamburger? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone grind their own hamburger?

I primarily use chuck and look for a piece that looks to be close to the rib so I can get meat that's close to the rib eye cap. I trim all sinew, add leftover fat -the softest fat so it grinds nicely - and grind it through my Kitchenaid grinder attachment once through the small die. I would prefer to get a medium die and grind twice because grinding just once tends to leave the meat a little stringy IMHO.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

do the kitchen-aid grinder attachments work well? i actually do hamburgers in my cuisinart, but i've thought about getting a grinder attachment for the 'aid. i want to do sausage, as well, and i haven't gotten great results for that using a food processor, unfortunately.

I get good results but I do small batches. People who have unsatisfactory results try to grind up whole elks.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I have never been disappointed with my Kitchen Aid grinder attachment. I have not tried the sausage stuffer yet though I do have it.

I have a stand alone unit too buy the KA is easier to clean.

-AJ

I like to use short ribs for my burgers and sometimes brisket as well.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    I get good results but I do small batches. People who have unsatisfactory results try to grind up whole elks.
    Whats wrong with that?? I would maybe only tackle half a moose at a time, but an elk? Come on! I thought the Kitchen Aid would laugh at the challenge!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    I like to use short ribs for my burgers and sometimes brisket as well.
    I'm with you Pete. Best blend I ever did was equal parts short rib, skirt, and tenderloin trim, ran through teh KA grinder.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Short batches is best. You have to keep the die's cool. A good idea is to have a second set in the fridge and change them out when you start getting hot. Alton Brown explained that it has something to do with the fat molecule and keeping it small. When you get your die warm it starts to expand the fat, making it "not good eats."

Many passes through too, you want a even distribution of meat and fat.

Ok so it's better to do a course grind then a finer grind rather than going from chunks to fine?

On the meat - I'll second adding some short rib....great flavor. Re: the grinding.....I have a KA and the attachment, but it's on my **** list. As bad if not worse than the pasta attachment. Spins too fast and gets greasy too fast. My preferred method is an old clunky hand grinder that clamps to the counter...medium die followed by small die. I chill them before use. Only reason for not using it always is the difficult clean up.