Fillet knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oivind_dahle

Banned
Reaction score
In the marked for inspiration for a future purchase.
Im looking for a flexible fillet knife, and not so rigid as most of my knives. Ive done some research, and would like to limit my funds to 300 USD.

Ive looked at Cotes Knives:
http://www.coteknives.ca/Handcrafted-fillet-knives-for-sale.html

Steel:
I see Cote use RWL-34 from Sweden.
Info on that:

Damasteel RWL 34 Stainless Steel
Manufacturer: Damasteel AB

RWL 34 is a premium powder metallurgy cutlery steel manufactured by Damasteel AB. RWL 34 has a strong following in Europe, and a favourite of reknown Danish knifemaker Jens Anso. This is not surprising given it's impressive performance and European origin.
Essentially a powder metallurgy variant of ATS-34, RWL 34 has very similar composition as ATS-34/154CM, but because of it is manufactured from rapidly solidified powders, the microstructure of the steel is much more uniform. This gives the steel much higher strenth and resistance to cracking.

The maker himself compare it to CPM 154

Would a carbon knife be as flexible as CPM 154 or RWL 34?
I think I would like to go stainless on this knife however, as fillet knives are the stainless steal realm in my world. Will CPM 154 or RWL 34 be the best choice?

Off topic: found this fan on the net. You might gonna loose your eyes:
http://www.mimportaunasegapuntozeb.com/test-gallery/coltelli-dal-mondo/filleting/

Profile:
Anyway, Im in the marked for a good fillet knife. Of all I have seen so far this is the most appealing (yes its a BB):
88204_1_n.jpg

I like the profile and I like the heel, more than cotes:
Carbon%20Fiber%20Fillet%20Knives%20o.jpg

Is Bill onto something, or would a more classic heel be the more useful?
300635e.jpg

Length:
I see this place recommend an "all-around knife" would consist of a 7.5-inch blade
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...d=10001&langId=-1&mode=article&objectID=30015

Handle:
Id like western

So whom makers are out there, that might do this right?

I have a victorinox fillet in for a reahandle at Darkohoek, but then again why settle for less :)

That Burke knife looks hard to beat...

Good luck in your search!

What are the teeth at the end of the handle for?

remover was my first thought, y appropriate for a fisherman!

A Global can't be rehandled...that will never do for Oivind!

O, why not just get the Cote? Or the Burke? What's the beef with either? It occurs to me that if you want a western fillet in damasteel, that sounds like Pierre Rodrigue to me.

I process a lot of small fish at work (john dory, king george whiting and rock flathead mainly) and I use an 8" Sabatier nogent (flexible) which I love; light, thin, sharp, comfy IMO and Sabs are just straight fun to use. I like the handle on the Nogents, but I will admit that they're ugly as sin. Edge retention is obviously nothing spectacular but I can still do a couple of kilos of fish before it becomes noticeable. And it only cost $85.

Otherwise, if you wanted something flash, you could get in touch with Koki at JCK and enquire about an Itou custom. He has a 285 flexible fillet knife on his page at the moment, but I'm pretty sure he has listed shorter ones before, doubt they'll be $300 or under though...

Cheers,
Josh

What are the teeth at the end of the handle for?
Gil did these to resemble a sharks head, the thong hole is the eye.

CPM 154, and RWL34 are essentially the same steel, minute differences. Either a good choice for a fillet knife.

+1 on Phil Wilson's fillet knives. He has a long waiting list but he takes phone calls and you might get him just before/just after a knife show when he usually has some available.

I process a lot of small fish at work (john dory, king george whiting and rock flathead mainly) and I use an 8" Sabatier nogent (flexible) which I love; light, thin, sharp, comfy IMO and Sabs are just straight fun to use. I like the handle on the Nogents, but I will admit that they're ugly as sin. Edge retention is obviously nothing spectacular but I can still do a couple of kilos of fish before it becomes noticeable. And it only cost $85.

Cheers,
Josh

Josh,

I have a 9" Nogent chef knife. I remember opening it and being amazed at how small, thin, cheap and chintzy the handle looked. And then I was amazed at how absolutely wonderful it feels in my hand. I guess they know what they were doing. Are you referring to the 8" Nogent filet knife they sell at The Best Things: http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatier_nogent.htm?

-AJ

Are you referring to the 8" Nogent filet knife they sell at The Best Things: http://www.thebestthings.com/knives/sabatier_nogent.htm?

Yup, that's the one. Although I bought mine through Bernal cutlery (along with a 10" nogent chefs knife and a 12" antique canadian massif chefs knife :knife:). I am tempted to have a go at rehandling the nogents, but like you said, they do feel wonderful.

Cheers,
Josh

I used this for years when I was working at a retail seafood store:

IMG_20120616_220535.jpg

It's a standard Dexter/Russell 8 inch fillet knife that was reground to shorten the height. The regrind also gave it a convex edge. I really enjoyed using this knife, as well as a standard carbon steel fillet knife. I prefer these to ones that are curved up at the tip beyond the top of the handle and spine because it's more difficult to gauge where the tip of the knife is. If the spine is straight, you know exactly where the tip is, even if you can't see it, which, if you're cutting in a traditional western manner, you won't see the tip when you're cutting down the back along the spine of a fish.

Thanks all so far. I sent Phil Wilson a mail, Ill let you know what he says.

However I would like to know your opinion on Bills design. Is he on to something or not?

I might also talk with Bill on this one. As you know he is my fav alongside Hoss.

Don't forget Pierre. I think that fillet knife on Butcher and Baker is his.

No love for canadians Oivind? Haha, I've only had Pierre's fillet knife in mind since the day I saw his. Some really sick and functional blades. Just wish I had a use for one.

I personally wouldn't want the 'heel' on the burke I like my filet to be a straight blade, I find I can get my petty heel stuck into product on occasion if I'm in a hurry. Whereas it will never happen with a traditional filet, but you could use that knife with the heel for more than cleaning fish/meat, you would have some knuckle clearance for cutting anything really. I have been eyeing a Pierre filet for a while now, I am Canadian and absolutely bias, but I think he has the nicest 'looking' (haven't used) filet knife around. On another note, if I did have that BB filet, I think i'd find a way around the heel no problem hehe. It just seems more versatile, less specialized, and who needs versatile knives when you have as many as you do.

Back