Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carpenter XHP?

Carpenter XHP?

Anyone had any experience with this steel? I've been checking out some of Butch's work recently and I'm sorely tempted to indulge. Seems like he's using CPM154 and XHP for his stainless options, and while I know CPM154 has a pretty good reputation, I haven't heard anything about XHP.

Cheers,
    Josh

If I had the choice I would go cts xhp. I've been bugging Dave to make some knives out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    If I had the choice I would go cts xhp...
    Why?

I've had my XHP nakiri from Butch for four months now. It gets used every day and I'm STILL waiting for an excuse to take it to the stones. Just an occasional stropping and it continues to be way sharper than a kitchen knife needs to be...tree tops arm hair, push cuts receipt paper with complete ease, etc. Admittedly, I'm just a humble home cook, but I've never seen a knife with better edge holding capability.

Given a choice, I'd go with the XHP in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chifunda View Post
    I've had my XHP nakiri from Butch for four months now. It gets used every day and I'm STILL waiting for an excuse to take it to the stones. Just an occasional stropping and it continues to be way sharper than a kitchen knife needs to be...tree tops arm hair, push cuts receipt paper with complete ease, etc. Admittedly, I'm just a humble home cook, but I've never seen a knife with better edge holding capability.

Given a choice, I'd go with the XHP in a heartbeat.
    What flavors of cpm-154 do you have to compare it to?

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

I haven't tried cpm154 but I really like Butch's XHP. Feels pretty nice on the stones, okay to deburr and good sharpness (not carbon, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    What flavors of cpm-154 do you have to compare it to?
    None. You got me.

But I've owned and used knives made of 154CM, ATS-34, A2, D2, 440C, O1, and 52100, among others. Some pretty decent makers too: Loveless, Steve Johnson, Buster Warenski, Hoss, Bob Lum, Randall, George Herron and more.

Yeah, most of them were hunters rather than kitchen knives and no, I've never used a blade made of CPM154. But of all the steels I do have experience with, nothing has been the equal of Butch's XHP. This my own personal and highly subjective opinion, but it's based on better than fifty years worth of using top grade knives in the field, from Alaska to Zambia. Feel free to disagree; it won't hurt my feelings.

Maybe CPM154 is superior...but I don't see how it could surpass the performance of XHP in any meaningful way. Unless it might be easier to sharpen and as I said above, I haven't yet needed to sharpen my nakiri.

I haven't tried CTS-XHP, at all. I'm just trying to get a feel for what to expect based on other steels I'm familiar with. I don't think CPM154 is particularly impressive in any way although it is nice in most respects. Just on paper, it looks like a high carbon sibling of 440C with a pinch of vanadium. That would probably mean good wear resistance with relatively low edge stability?

Where's larrin when you need him?

I would love to read more feed back on XHP compared to CPM154. I am impressed with CPM154 but will be trying XHP on my next batch for the experience.