Quantcast
Son of a WIP - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Son of a WIP

What's the reason you want to change the handle? It isn't obvious to me, but I'm viewing the pix with my cell phone...
    Broken, twisted, loose?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    If you were to perform some thinning a part of the pitting issue would be solved as well. Do you want to keep the finger guard as it is?
    I already altered the finger guard a little, but I will probably keep it similar. I've seen these ground way down on Sabatier's, but use mine to punch ventilation holes on EVOO cans and such.
    Thinning would help with the wedging, but the pitting is too deep. Hey, Benuser-tell me what stone progression/plan of attack you would use to thin this blade out.

What's the reason you want to change the handle? It isn't obvious to me, but I'm viewing the pix with my cell phone...
    Broken, twisted, loose?
    You can't tell from any of the pics, but there are gaps between the handle and the tang on both sides. When I'm cutting with it, I can feel the blade moving around in the handle. I'm a little concerned about food getting mushed in the gaps. I guess I could use some epoxy, but it is a big gap and I don't think I want that much epoxy on anything-especially when it might not work .
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    Thinning would help with the wedging, but the pitting is too deep. Hey, Benuser-tell me what stone progression/plan of attack you would use to thin this blade out.

Generally one of the sides is more or less convex, while the other is more or less flat. With most European blades, the convex one is the left one. The convex one is the first one to attack..
    Find an angle at which you're sure not to reach the very edge, and start with some P120 sandpaper in any direction you're comfortable with. As you're getting closer to the edge, refine with P320 and P600 paper. Generally I start at some 4 degree.
    You may perform a similar but much faster operation on the other side as well. What you've made was a relief bevel. For the very edge the direction of the scratches becomes important again. Traditionally they're perpendicular to the edge. Build your bevels with the P600 sandpaper, and continue with stones as you're used to.

What a cool deal. How is the pitting different form etched damascus? Or kurouchi? or hammered finsh? It's just anti-stick!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Just as for - hidden - hammering it's important it isn't too near to the edge and causes an overgrind, remember?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Earlier this week I removed the handle from this one. I went to my local Woodcraft store and bought the only set of scales they had that would fit-some Madagascar Ebony. Keep in mind, this is my very first handle of any kind. I have only hand-held tools. I think it looks pretty OK for my lack of equipment and skills. I won't attempt anything like this again until I have the proper tools. I'm already addicted though. Thanks again Son!!!!BEFORE
    [IMG][/IMG]
    AFTER[IMG][/IMG]
    Some more final mod pics[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IM[IMG][/IMG]G][IMG][/IMG][IMG]

[/IMG][/IMG]This thing is wicked sharp amd I can't wait to use it at work, even as goofy as it is ...........and yes, the one side is kinda like a kurouchi finish!
    Thanks for looking, knerd
    Last edited by knyfeknerd; 06-24-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: indubitably!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Very cool! I like the "patina"!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

well done. I like your handle choice. very tasteful.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

very nice, my friend. excellent work!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+1!
    Like a lot the basic form, the warmth of the ebony and the rivets!