Quantcast
which japanese knife?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which japanese knife?

which japanese knife?

Hi! I am new to the forum and would like to know which knife would you recomend. I've been cooking for several years (not pro), and just recently started culinary school. I own a few wusthof ikon classic knives (chefs, paring, utility) and I am very pleased with them. Now I want to buy a japanese knife, and been looking on the shops you people have recomended on this forum.

This is what i've found (i want a gyuto knife):

The one I liked the most was the Hattori gyuto kd, until I saw the price, I cant pay $1,000 for a knife no matter how good it may be.

so, I look at all of this:

hattori hd gyuto
    ryusen tsuchime damascus series
    shiki damascus premium
    kanetsugu saiun damascus
    hiromoto Tenmi Jyuraku Damascus Series (VG-10)

well, of all of them, the one that I liked the most is the Kanetsugu, so....is it a good choice for a go to knife?? or any of the rest may be a better choice?

thanks

guga

I have a few "Hattori" HD knives and like them very much, but I can't comment on how they compare with the others you've listed. However, understand that Hattori does NOT actually make the HD line. Rather, those knives are manufactured by Ryusen and sold under several different brands. According to Koki of JCK, the Kanji (Chinese characters) on my knives indicate that they are Hattori, Takahisa, and Maruyoshi brands. He says that Hattori takes extra care to make sure the knives are up to their standards, refinishing if necessary. However, all of my samples seem to be of the same high quality, regardless of how they're labeled. And they are excellent knives, don't get me wrong about that.

If you want to go that way and save a few bucks, look at the HD knives with the Maruyoshi Kanji sold by CKTG: http://www.This Site Not Allowed Here.com.com/hattoriknives.html Same knives, a few bucks cheaper.

I also have a Hiromoto T-J Suji that I like very much -- nice knife for the money.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Welcome to KKF!

The guys will come along shortly I'm sure and get you sorted out, they always have great advice and love to spend other people's money.

I don't have experience with any of the knives you've mentioned, other than the Ikons (great knives by the way...nice choice there).
    I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of j-knives!
    I hope you have a good savings account

add a knife and the links to all of them:

- hattori hd gyuto (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/HDSeries.html)
    - ryusen tsuchime damascus series (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Ry...cusSeries.html)
    - shiki damascus premium (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/SH...cusSeries.html)
    - kanetsugu saiun damascus (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Sa...cusSeries.html)
    - kanetsugu pro j series (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ProJSeries.html)
    - hiromoto Tenmi Jyuraku Damascus Series (VG-10) (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Te...EIGHT:%20184px)

Welcome to the forum.Are you opposed to carbon?? A Konosuke white #2 Wa gyuto would blow your mind compared to a Hattori hd and the likes.It would not bump the price up to much either.

Quote Originally Posted by guga View Post
    Hi! I am new to the forum and would like to know which knife would you recomend. I've been cooking for several years (not pro), and just recently started culinary school. I own a few wusthof ikon classic knives (chefs, paring, utility) and I am very pleased with them. Now I want to buy a japanese knife, and been looking on the shops you people have recomended on this forum.

This is what i've found (i want a gyuto knife):

The one I liked the most was the Hattori gyuto kd, until I saw the price, I cant pay $1,000 for a knife no matter how good it may be.

so, I look at all of this:

hattori hd gyuto
    ryusen tsuchime damascus series
    shiki damascus premium
    kanetsugu saiun damascus
    hiromoto Tenmi Jyuraku Damascus Series (VG-10)

well, of all of them, the one that I liked the most is the Kanetsugu, so....is it a good choice for a go to knife?? or any of the rest may be a better choice?

thanks

guga
    Welcome to the forum, just out of curiosity...you mentioned you are starting culinary school. Is the knife you are looking into for school? If so, you might want to stay away from the fancy damascus patterns. I have never been to culinary school, but have heard they tend to have some people with sticky fingers. If you are using it for school, I would get something simple and plain, maybe the JCK vg-10 line, a Tojiro, or even a forschner. On the other hand, if you are using it for home, or in a work environement where you can trust your co-workers, then I would splurge some more and get a really good knife.

Hey, our first "I'm new, what knife to buy" thread! Now we have everything!

What exactly IS your budget, and can you tell us a bit about how you use the knife(grip, cutting techniques, etc)?

I'll mention it, because I'm pretty sure it's become an obligatory response.
    If it's for school, you can always check out the Fujiwara FKM.
    Great reputation and value!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Hey, our first "I'm new, what knife to buy" thread! Now we have everything!

What exactly IS your budget, and can you tell us a bit about how you use the knife(grip, cutting techniques, etc)?
    sorry if I was rude, my english is not very good (i'm from argentina) and try to keep it simple.

i dont really know how to describe how I use the knife, I am just an amateur cook, but if it helps, the wusthof ikon classic that i own feels very confortable on my hand.

my budget is $200 +/-

thanx

+ Reply to Thread