Something a little heftier...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmfreeman35

Reaction score
So, I REALLY got the itch for a new gyuto (holding off on the yanagiba for the time being). Right now I have a kono white and a moritaka KS, so I'm looking for something thats a little heftier...something I can beat around a bit (i work in a pro kitchen).

Kono I LOVE, but just feel like I have to baby it a bit when it comes to some prep tasks. The KS...its so so i guess. Cuts really well, but I'm not a fan of the AS steel and the tip is a little lower than i like I've come to notice. Overall, I don't NEED a new guyto, just want something new to play with hehe

Right now, I'm mainly eying the yoshikane SKD, and the kono fujiyama, but I'm a little concerned that the fujiyama is too similar to my kono white (weight/thickness/sharpness/edge retention) to justify buying right now...am i wrong?

And then whats the word on the yoshikane these days? I've read a lot of very positive reviews about it, but I also handled one at my previous job and noticed a lot of wedging. Given, that one was also pretty worn down, and the owner never thinned it as it wore down so maybe that caused the lack of performance?

Or anyone have any other/better recommendations in the $250-300ish range?

Zakuri. Kon Fujiyama would be fine. It's a fair bit heftier than the regular Kon's. As for the steel, it sharpens nicer and possible holds an edge better. It runs pretty short though. Definitely go for a 270 on that one.

There's also a Mizuno in the BST for $300. That would qualify. Maybe you can lowball him. :devilburn:

I have two Kono fuji's and one is about .5mm thicker (at spine above choil) than a reg. Kono...and the other is more like 1mm thicker, so my guess is there can be a slight variation in the fuji's. I use the thicker one in a pro kitchen everyday and it's perfect for me (in addition to a much thinner kiritsuke fuji for veg.). You can always ask Mark to pick out a thicker one for you if you wish, that's what I did. Good luck on your hunt.

Kono Fuji is a great cutter. Take a look at gengetsu too.

I'll second the Gengetsu suggestion. I had a very similar conversation with Jon at JKI. I was looking for something a little beefier than my Kono at the spine, but with a great edge. I bought the stainless clad white #2 and am very happy with it. Nice handle OOTB too.

If he doesn't like AS, will he like Mizuno blue, or Zakuri?

I'm liking the Yoshikane...
I don't think there is anything wrong with the Yoshikane, although it isn't my favorite and I wouldn't call it hefty unless you're going for the western handled version. On the Zakuri, etc. I'm not saying he will like them and but maybe not all blue steel is created equally, no? I can only guess as to why he doesn't like Moritaka AS. I can definitely tell that HiroAS isnt' all that much like Zakuri or Takeda AS, for that matter.

A yoshikane kasumi from maxim might fit the bill. I really like the SKD12 steel they use, it has a nice profile and at ~185g it will be somewhere around 50% heavier than the konosuke.

I have been eying the Gengetsu since it first came out, and would definitely get it now if I could. But the line in front of me is a little longer than my very impatient self can stand, and there are other knives out there that I want to try out. So I'll pick something else up this time ;)

Now, I have also considered the mizuno but I've read some iffy reviews about it about dodgy F&F , and at nearly $100 more than the other two I listed, I think I will pass. I've also used a Zakuri briefly and was actually pleasantly surprised by how well it cut...the hand feel would take some getting used to I think tho

The Moritaka AS steel...maybe its just they KU finish or the fact that I'm not too found of the knife itself, but I just don't like it....Its very reactive and (still) discolors foods, rusts at the drop of a hat, chippy, feels odd on the stones...its just weird to me. I will say edge retention is very nice, however. :dontknow:

Probably should give another blue steel a try...probably when i pick up a nakiri

So many options, so little money lol...

A yoshikane kasumi from maxim might fit the bill. I really like the SKD12 steel they use, it has a nice profile and at ~185g it will be somewhere around 50% heavier than the konosuke.

I think this may be the winner. Any difference between this one and the hammered finish one at EE, other than the finish?

you mentioned blue steel...i dont know how thick the kochi blue steel is but im sure its awesome. i almost purchased it but i decided on gengetsu instead.

The Kochi's I saw prob wouldn't be great "beaters," initially. They are very thin near the edge. I saw one recently that has been sharpened a few times and that one would take some heavy duty abuse just fine.

great advice, i like mine, use it in a pro kitchen almost everyday

I think this may be the winner. Any difference between this one and the hammered finish one at EE, other than the finish?

The geometry is completely different on the kasumi knives. Here is a pic of my yoshikane kasumi:
i4pvfb.jpg

Here is one of a hammered Yoshikane (stolen from Cadillac J):
a0xbgx.jpg

I really like the kasumi. I think it's one of the most overlooked knives.

Wow. That is completely different, and looks very nice!

I'm sold on it...now let's hope it's still there when I go to order it tonight after work...

Wow. That is completely different, and looks very nice!

I'm sold on it...now let's hope it's still there when I go to order it tonight after work...

I think you'll be happy with it!

theres a yoshikane at japanese woodworker with a burnt chesnut handle and hammer finish. dont know anything else about it though. great looking choil shot of that kasumi!

I love everything about my 240 Yoshikane SKD gyuto (except the hammer marks), and I'm laser fan by all accounts. Not sure I've heard anyone say anything negative about their SKD gyutos either.

Never could help myself from continually checking Maxim's site for a 270 Yosh SLD kasumi suji...but now they are out of stock. <-- just might be my next knife.

I think Takeshi at Aframes has a few Yosikane damascus in V2 steel for a very reasonable price in stock, I was sorely tempted a while back, but I'm leaning towards western handles again (I must have the shortest attention span). Otherwise, this offering from Blueway looks decent : http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Japanese...813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bcd7b4c5. I personally don't have any experience with the BWJ's sakai stuff, but I've heard pretty positive reviews. Think there's a kuroichi finish as well which is a bit cheaper.

Cheers,
Josh

If he still had a V2 in stock I would it would already be in the mail! I was eyeing it for awhile just waiting for funds to arrive. And of course as soon as I has the money, he doesn't have the knife :(

If he still had a V2 in stock I would it would already be in the mail! I was eyeing it for awhile just waiting for funds to arrive. And of course as soon as I has the money, he doesn't have the knife :(

contact him, he can get you one.

Well, my yoshikane kasumi arrived the other day! Its my day off today so I wont get a chance to use it till tomorrow, but so far its looking so good...great f&f, awesome profile and geometry, and weight wise it feels exactly what I was looking for.

Very excited about this thing.

Latest posts

Back