Nenox quandry

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So we were out for dinner last night, and I saw, as I often do, Nenox slicers behind the counter.

Quite some time ago, I was very attracted to Nenohi brand knives - I really like their appearance. However, after a lot of searching I couldn't find many people who had much positive to say about them. There is an old zknives review that really shoots down the gyuto, particularly at the price point, and there are some old threads I found on google basically echoing that sentiment (It was hard to tell from my search whether those threads were from here or the old KF - either way I didn't find them using the search function here).

Anyway - I'm still puzzled that pro chefs would use them that much. Is it because of the sanitary aspect of a corian handle? Or - since I've only seen sujis (or maybe carvers), is it that the drawbacks identified in the gyuto aren't as pronounced if just using it as a slicer?

I think--having never used one--that it's not that they don't perform; it's that they don't perform any better than knives that cost a third as much. If you were a cook and saw Nenox knives in the hands of lots of chefs who had "made it," and if your standard of comparison was culinary school knives or Wusthof/Henckels, you might fall in love with a Nenox and stay that way.

I have a 150mm petty, type-G. I've had it for 7 years? Still my favorite knife, still the one I try to do everything with.

-AJ

I remember that before I knew anything about knives, a Nenox Gyuto was the best cutting knife I'd ever used. I haven't seen one since. I would be interested in using one.

But yeah, I think they are just expensive.

Overpriced in my opinion and the zknives review didn't help them much. I have a white corian 150 petty that works well enough but there are other good alternatives out there. I don't remember whether zknives did the higher end steel or not. Like heldontenor pointed out, when you see Morimoto using these, people jump on the bandwagon. -- a functional knife that is overpriced.

I think you guys have summed it up pretty well. Seth, I'm pretty sure zknives reviewed an S1 with the quince wood handle.

Ignoring the status symbol/Morimoto factor, it's clear there are lots of equal or better choices out there, particularly for gyutos. Even with a slicer, if you wanted to spend that much money it seems your almost into some some beautiful hand crafted options.

Nenox, in my opinion, served a need for a while. While most J-knife makers were deaf to complaints about poor fit an finish, Nenox knives were the exception. The knives were finished perfectly in really cool and exotic materials like Corian and quince burl. Sadly, the steel was just so-so, and has remained just so-so. There is a fierce contingent of people who swear by them (Charley?) But it seems like the conscientious is that they are $150 blades with a $450 handle.

Pesky

I was wondering about things because I hear so much about them at work. Almost picked up a petty to see what the buzz was about.

When I saw one I was enamored with the looks. But since then I have seen better looking knives (here) for less. So I have not even looked their way. I wouldn't mind trying out 1, but buy a second would still seem to expensive to me.

I've owned a couple and many cheaper and more expensive knives. They cut very well, but as Pesky wrote, they were great in their day but that time has passed. Too many companies and knifemakers do a better job at a much cheaper price point. They have rode the popularity wave for a long time, but it started dissipating a long time ago. I'd take one again in a heartbeat, but not at what they are charging them for. I have nothing to back this up with, but I believe in Japan they are still in very high demand as Japanese are very loyal to brands.

Nenox, in my opinion, served a need for a while. While most J-knife makers were deaf to complaints about poor fit an finish, Nenox knives were the exception. The knives were finished perfectly in really cool and exotic materials like Corian and quince burl. Sadly, the steel was just so-so, and has remained just so-so. There is a fierce contingent of people who swear by them (Charley?) But it seems like the conscientious is that they are $150 blades with a $450 handle.

Pesky

Word...

Overpriced in my opinion and the zknives review didn't help them much.
I guess it didn't. My review didn't help to sell that gyuto either. Took years...

I don't remember whether zknives did the higher end steel or not.
I've had Nenohi Nenox S-1 Honyaki gyuto, which apparently is made out of VG-1 steel, dunno if they have higher end steel these days. Like I said in the review, part of the reason I was so negative about Nenox was the fact that my expectations were high, based on price and hype surrounding them. I expected performance on par or comparable with Aritsugu A-Type, Sanetsu ZDP-189, Watanabe Honyaki gyuto and such... Seeing how much cheaper, VG-10 knife from Henckels Miyabi outperformed it was a real downer.

Wow I would have been pissed if my Miyabi did better than a Nenox for almost 6x.

Back