Quantcast
Handles - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handles

I seem to have fallen for buckeye Burl in the past couple of days.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

This is the first time I have used Buckeye. I like It!

Please do take this the right way...
    I think sometimes less is more. Some of the handle patterns are too busy for me. Why not try something simpler, only one piece of very patterned wood and highlight the beauty of that with calmer pieces around it?
    That said; The handles show very good workmanship and there are some truly beautiful pieces of wood there!

I would never take an honest opinion the wrong way. Thanks. In my quest to learn to make handles I have discoverd the really complex ones are much more of a challenge and fun to make, but you are right they are getting busy, thats why I asked for opionons on the last one I made, as I think it is my busiest yet. It is easy to get carried away. It was fun to make though.
    Thanks again
    Mike

That's another good looking handle,I have no issues with a "bizzy" handle.

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1303595060http:I finally managed to make a handle with metal spacers that didnt fall apart ten times while shaping it. I used Stefans dowell method (THANKS!!!) it makes for a really strong handle. I am unsure about my color choices though you guys let me know what you think should it stay or go. I have no idea if this link is going to work?
    Is the dowel method drilling a hole in the main body and inserting a dowel? Do you still use a mortise and tenon joint with the main body or do you just have the dowel extending out to accept the ferrule? Does that make sense. I am still trying to get the skills necessary to attempt a wa-handle, any help would be apprecated.

That is some nice looking wood. Lines look really clean! Great job!

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Is the dowel method drilling a hole in the main body and inserting a dowel? Do you still use a mortise and tenon joint with the main body or do you just have the dowel extending out to accept the ferrule? Does that make sense. I am still trying to get the skills necessary to attempt a wa-handle, any help would be apprecated.
    Hi Kalaeb, in most cases, epoxy is strong enough to bond materials together. But wood and metal don't bond well, so rather than using the mortising method, I insert a short softwood dowel that extends into the handle as well as into the ferrule. If I want to use a metal spacer, I slip the spacer over the dowel. That makes for a very sturdy connection, and they don't come apart on the sander - which can happen very quickly with metal pieces because most epoxy is not very heat stable. Of course, you still want to keep the temps on the sander as low as you can, but this construction is more forgiving. It just adds a few more work steps and takes a bit of extra time. HTH,

Stefan

It does work really well. Thanks again for the help Stefan