Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
OK, I have been lurking around these forums for about a year and have done very little posting, but I like this new forum. So I thought I would come out of my shell and show you guys what I have been up to.
Stefan has helped me out alot along the way, he is extreamly generous with his trade secrets.
Let me know what ya'll think, but be gentle :biggrin2:

Mike

159.jpg

IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6262.jpg

IMG_6227.jpg

Those are incredible!
Nice job!

Mike, I think the site permissions are messed up. I can't see the pics when I click on the thumbnails.

Actually what happened is that the site permissions were screwed up allowing Mike to upload the pictures here in this forum. The only place his usergroup can upload directly is in the B/S/T forum. I made the correction but that has obviously changed the ability of others to open his uploads here. Sorry about the screw up guys.

You guys should still be able to see the full size images in Jim's post though, correct? If so then you can click on those for full size blow up versions.

OK - correction - you should all be able to see Mike's thumbnails when clinking on them. Another glitch in the Matrix fixed. This back end forum stuff can beat a guy up. :bashhead:

I do not think anyone realizes the time it takes to do this- Thanks Dave for all your efforts!

Gorgeous work. Gorgeous wood. Sweet.

Yeah Dave, nice job, and thanks for doing it.

Wow, great work, I never get tired of sweet handles. Life's much to short to use a stock handle! :beer:

Hi Mike, I'm glad to see that you came out of the woodwork :wink: These really are too nice to hide them from us.

Stefan

I do not think anyone realizes the time it takes to do this- Thanks Dave for all your efforts!

as someone who runs a fairly large forum, i understand the time it takes. thanks Dave!

That is some beautiful wood,Nice work.I love a pimpy handle:thumbsup2:

Thanks guys! I have a couple more in he works I will post pics when they are done
Thanks Again, Mike

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x410/mhenry5/th_IMG_6314.jpg?t=1303595060http:I finally managed to make a handle with metal spacers that didnt fall apart ten times while shaping it. I used Stefans dowell method (THANKS!!!) it makes for a really strong handle. I am unsure about my color choices though you guys let me know what you think should it stay or go. I have no idea if this link is going to work?

It's got a bit of black shoes with brown belt syndrome, but I think I still really like it...
What is the main handle wood?

Thanks, The wood is Buckeye burl. I am trying to make the pic bigger

I seem to have fallen for buckeye Burl in the past couple of days.

This is the first time I have used Buckeye. I like It!

Please do take this the right way...
I think sometimes less is more. Some of the handle patterns are too busy for me. Why not try something simpler, only one piece of very patterned wood and highlight the beauty of that with calmer pieces around it?
That said; The handles show very good workmanship and there are some truly beautiful pieces of wood there!

I would never take an honest opinion the wrong way. Thanks. In my quest to learn to make handles I have discoverd the really complex ones are much more of a challenge and fun to make, but you are right they are getting busy, thats why I asked for opionons on the last one I made, as I think it is my busiest yet. It is easy to get carried away. It was fun to make though.
Thanks again
Mike

That's another good looking handle,I have no issues with a "bizzy" handle.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x410/mhenry5/th_IMG_6314.jpg?t=1303595060http:I finally managed to make a handle with metal spacers that didnt fall apart ten times while shaping it. I used Stefans dowell method (THANKS!!!) it makes for a really strong handle. I am unsure about my color choices though you guys let me know what you think should it stay or go. I have no idea if this link is going to work?

Is the dowel method drilling a hole in the main body and inserting a dowel? Do you still use a mortise and tenon joint with the main body or do you just have the dowel extending out to accept the ferrule? Does that make sense. I am still trying to get the skills necessary to attempt a wa-handle, any help would be apprecated. :helpsos:

Is the dowel method drilling a hole in the main body and inserting a dowel? Do you still use a mortise and tenon joint with the main body or do you just have the dowel extending out to accept the ferrule? Does that make sense. I am still trying to get the skills necessary to attempt a wa-handle, any help would be apprecated. :helpsos:

Hi Kalaeb, in most cases, epoxy is strong enough to bond materials together. But wood and metal don't bond well, so rather than using the mortising method, I insert a short softwood dowel that extends into the handle as well as into the ferrule. If I want to use a metal spacer, I slip the spacer over the dowel. That makes for a very sturdy connection, and they don't come apart on the sander - which can happen very quickly with metal pieces because most epoxy is not very heat stable. Of course, you still want to keep the temps on the sander as low as you can, but this construction is more forgiving. It just adds a few more work steps and takes a bit of extra time. HTH,

Stefan

It does work really well. Thanks again for the help Stefan

Latest posts

Back