Quantcast
Suisin Inox VS Artifex
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suisin Inox VS Artifex

Suisin Inox VS Artifex

Hey, So I am looking at picking up a low cost 210mm gyuto. It's for line work, so I'm looking for something that can perform but won't kill me if someone messes it up or a tip breaks etc.
    People here have a thing for just chucking gear into sinks. I sharpen up to 4k and maintain with 2 ceramic rods of different grits if that makes a difference, maybe one refreshes better?

I'm sitting on the fence between the Suisin Inox and the Artifex.

I've heard good things about the AEB-L steel but there are so many more factors then just that. The Inox is only SS correct?

Anyone have any first hand experience? I'm open to other suggestions as well

Thanks everyone
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

I'm guessing you mean Inox Western.

These are two of my favorite low end knives to recommend. Both have great qualities, but they are very different knives, so the choice should be easy, depending on what you want. They both are stainless.

The Artifex is 50/50 ground, with a really simple riveted handle. It's very light. It's also like $40 cheaper, and made stateside(if that matters to you).

The Suisin is 70/30 ground with a right hand bias, does not hold an edge as well as the Artifex, but has better cutting geometry and will "cut when dull". It's got an integral bolster and though it is still thin and lightweight, it's heftier than the Artifex, and the balance feels more...um...energetic?

I daresay that the Suisin is probably more prone to being damage by roughhousing, but both are not going to put up with being treated like a tasting spoon.

I'm not sure what you mean by energetic, ha ha but thanks for the info! Geometry has become increasingly important to me.

It is a little heavier from the bolster weight, but still forward oriented, so its more like holding a hammer than a screwdriver.

Make sense?

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    I'm guessing you mean Inox Western.

These are two of my favorite low end knives to recommend. Both have great qualities, but they are very different knives, so the choice should be easy, depending on what you want. They both are stainless.

The Artifex is 50/50 ground, with a really simple riveted handle. It's very light. It's also like $40 cheaper, and made stateside(if that matters to you).

The Suisin is 70/30 ground with a right hand bias, does not hold an edge as well as the Artifex, but has better cutting geometry and will "cut when dull". It's got an integral bolster and though it is still thin and lightweight, it's heftier than the Artifex, and the balance feels more...um...energetic?

I daresay that the Suisin is probably more prone to being damage by roughhousing, but both are not going to put up with being treated like a tasting spoon.
    I have a different opinion about edge holding between the 2 having owned a suisin and borrowed an Artifex for a week, I felt the edge holding was about the same.

I like the analogy. The F&F looks better on the Suisin. Any opinions on that?

if there is any chance somebody will throw your knives into a sink, i dont think i would bring a suisin to work.

Probly shouldn't bring a few of my knives to work to be honest. I can't help it. Basically I'm looking for something Low price point that isn't going to frustrate me if something bad happens to it.

that sugimoto stainless 210 might be a candidate then. for $70ish it sounds like a good deal.

Sponsors
    we're talking about the western one here not the inox honyaki, right?

+ Reply to Thread