Suisin Inox VS Artifex

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoodooMajik

Reaction score
Hey, So I am looking at picking up a low cost 210mm gyuto. It's for line work, so I'm looking for something that can perform but won't kill me if someone messes it up or a tip breaks etc.
People here have a thing for just chucking gear into sinks. I sharpen up to 4k and maintain with 2 ceramic rods of different grits if that makes a difference, maybe one refreshes better?

I'm sitting on the fence between the Suisin Inox and the Artifex.

I've heard good things about the AEB-L steel but there are so many more factors then just that. The Inox is only SS correct?

Anyone have any first hand experience? I'm open to other suggestions as well

Thanks everyone

I'm guessing you mean Inox Western.

These are two of my favorite low end knives to recommend. Both have great qualities, but they are very different knives, so the choice should be easy, depending on what you want. They both are stainless.

The Artifex is 50/50 ground, with a really simple riveted handle. It's very light. It's also like $40 cheaper, and made stateside(if that matters to you).

The Suisin is 70/30 ground with a right hand bias, does not hold an edge as well as the Artifex, but has better cutting geometry and will "cut when dull". It's got an integral bolster and though it is still thin and lightweight, it's heftier than the Artifex, and the balance feels more...um...energetic?

I daresay that the Suisin is probably more prone to being damage by roughhousing, but both are not going to put up with being treated like a tasting spoon.

I'm not sure what you mean by energetic, ha ha but thanks for the info! Geometry has become increasingly important to me.

It is a little heavier from the bolster weight, but still forward oriented, so its more like holding a hammer than a screwdriver.

Make sense?

I'm guessing you mean Inox Western.

These are two of my favorite low end knives to recommend. Both have great qualities, but they are very different knives, so the choice should be easy, depending on what you want. They both are stainless.

The Artifex is 50/50 ground, with a really simple riveted handle. It's very light. It's also like $40 cheaper, and made stateside(if that matters to you).

The Suisin is 70/30 ground with a right hand bias, does not hold an edge as well as the Artifex, but has better cutting geometry and will "cut when dull". It's got an integral bolster and though it is still thin and lightweight, it's heftier than the Artifex, and the balance feels more...um...energetic?

I daresay that the Suisin is probably more prone to being damage by roughhousing, but both are not going to put up with being treated like a tasting spoon.

I have a different opinion about edge holding between the 2 having owned a suisin and borrowed an Artifex for a week, I felt the edge holding was about the same.

I like the analogy. The F&F looks better on the Suisin. Any opinions on that?

Probly shouldn't bring a few of my knives to work to be honest. I can't help it. Basically I'm looking for something Low price point that isn't going to frustrate me if something bad happens to it.

Yes, the Western, sitting between $109 and $125 depending on the retailer.

What steel does Sugimoto use and does anyone know why there would be such a variation with the RC? 58-63 I would prefer to avoid such a thing being a coin toss.

You can't just tell them to leave your stuff alone? it will encourage you to keep your stuff clean instead of leaving it dirty or loose.

Oh they do, ha ha. Most of the crew know I don't tolerate any sort of abuse of my gear. You never know when we'll get a new guy from where ever that doesn't get it. **** happens, things get dropped, especially with 75 of us between different outlets.

My gear is always clean and put down in the same spot when I'm finished with it. 1 Knife out, the others tucked away in a tray. I treat my gear with alot of respect, I just want something short and cheap that will still get reasonably sharp for when things get crazy so I don't need to worry that I'll be out of a pile of money if something happens. So Unless I'm in a production kitchen, I'll just be using the gyuto, a nakiri and a petty until I go back to a smaller kitchen

I always just took a minute to ask the new guy his name, and introduce myself by letting him use a knife of mine, then showing him that I carry 3 other knives on me in my pockets, then telling him that he won't see my knives around, and if it doesn't have a rubber or plastic handle, don't touch it.

It's usually enough to solidify you as "the knife guy". There was a point where my only job at work was to cut things, all day, everyday. That was good times.

There was a point where my only job at work was to cut things, all day, everyday. That was good times.
I got offered a similar job at a different restaurant earlier this year. Full time day prep, just 8 hours of playing with knives. Almost made the 30% pay cut sound tempting... :D

So far it's worked out well that way, There are a couple of who just aren't respectful around though. So, no Carbons out when they are working or I end up cleaning away rust at the end of my day. Don't matter if I'm nice or overly assertive about it with a couple people. Seeing as it's Sous's and CDP's I'd rather just get something budget that will get the job done better then then the wusthofs I've replaced and sold..

I'm in Garde Manger these days, So I always have a good handle on where my knives are (right at my shins). I get thrown into some rough waters when other outlets start sinking.

I'm not sure if you're trying to talk me out of the purchase or I'm not explaining myself clearly :p It doesn't need to tolerate tons of abuse from my end, but should something happen. Something I'm not overly attached to if I get thrown in the middle of 400+ covers . Things happen sometime So I'd rather not spend alot on my "Line Knife". Something nicer can wait till I'm on a crew with less then 20 guys.

More paranoia then anything really :p

Sounds about right. You never know. I have a guy at work that when ever he is around something happens to my knife, no matter if he is around or not. He is also the type of guy to push to see how far I would go.

I am liking this thread cause I will be looking for a new work gyuto that I would be fine if something would happen.

i work with about 8 other guys that bring their own kits to work everyday. even though we all trust each other, no one would use someone elses knife without permission.

That's how it is for the most part. Everyone has their own kit and won't touch something without asking. We have 3 or 4 guys that don't care. They'll pick it up, use it (sometime without a cutting board), and leave it wet and dirty. They just don't care about knives in general and don't realize it's carbon steel. It reflects poorly on my if I get angry about stuff. It's unionized corporate property, the Social politic seem to win favor over quality of work. Kills me inside..

We are all busy and I get that. but it's no reason to treat equipment poorly

Not trying to talk you out of it at all!

I think you should go for it. I bring my tools to work everyday. I'm just trying to help you narrow down the decision between these two great low end knives. I consider them the top of the bottom, which in my mind, is a hell of a lot better than bottom of the top.

The decision should be about the differences in the knives! Don't look for a knife that will survive extreme abuse, just break someone's balls about it when it happens. I assure you that unless they drop it in the disposal, not a lot can happen to the knife that can't be fixed.

I'm still pretty torn, ha ha, leaning towards the Suisin Inox. Glad I was atleast on track with the ones I was looking at.

I think I have been stressing my paranoia of abuse a little much.

I have played with a few of the new Artifex's with the re shaped handles in Pakkawood. The handle fit and finish is actually quite good. The handles were nicely rounded and comfortable. Handle/Tang fitting was spot on as well, no sharp tang spots. The spine is very well rounded over, but the choil could use some easing of the edges there. The Artifex takes a nice edge, similar to a good carbon steel edge and the profile is decent. The Artifex is also fairly thin; not laser thin, but it does a good job on a variety of foods, including potatoes, onions, steak, chicken, peppers, mushrooms, etc. As much as I prefer carbon blades, I find myself using the Artifex when I want to cut up a small amount of stuff and then leave the blade while I eat :)

I have not tried the Artifex but the Suisin western INOX is a knife I would buy. It's a very good cutter with excellent fit and finish.

The Suisin would be an easy choice for me. I would not have any qualms taking that knife to work. Some of my old Wusties and Globals were more $$ than that and they served me well for many years. Any one that tossed my knives in a sink would find out what the bags of quickrete on the loading dock are for.:bat:

Dave

seriously. you dont mess with another mans knives. bring a #6 veggie cleaver to work and go to town on some veggies for a while. if your prep tables are anything like ours theyll shake violently with every cut. judging from my coworkers expressions i guess im a little intimidating. but atleast i know they would never ever touch my stuff.

Back