Quantcast
Visualizing What a New Handle Will Look Like
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visualizing What a New Handle Will Look Like

Visualizing What a New Handle Will Look Like

I'm looking at having the handle replaced on a Shigefusa 240 kasumi gyuto. I scour the web looking for nice wood, but it's really hard to imagine what a given piece will look like on the knife. So I've set up a PowerPoint slide that allows me to do a lot of playing around with different woods on that knife. The process went as follows:

1. Take a picture of the knife and import it into PP, resize and position it.
    2. Go to arizonaironwood, burlsource, eBay, etc., and download pictures of wood blocks. If a site won't let me "save" an image (like eBay), I use CaptureWiz to get it.
    3. I use the IrfanView app to rotate and resize the downloaded photos, then import them into PP.

In the end I get something like the slide below, with the Shig on top and various potential handles below it.

In this next screenshot I've put the black-dyed buckeye handle on to see what it might look like:

And in this last shot I'm trying the green-dyed box elder handle on for appearance.

It's far from perfect, but it helps me a lot. I'm leaning toward the black buckeye at the moment.

Hey, very cool.

Seen it applied to paint colors on houses and wheels on specific car models... so why not knives?

This is cool.

Very cool process and buckeye burl is a great choice.

Very cool! Are you going to do a plain black ferrule, or are you going to download more wood and create more slideshows?

Great! Have been meaning to do smething like that for years with my own wood stash, but just taking all the pictures would take me so long that I never really followed up with it. Using the available pics certainly makes it easier.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by The Edge View Post
    Very cool! Are you going to do a plain black ferrule, or are you going to download more wood and create more slideshows?
    Could get kind of busy with a figured ferrule. I'm thinking maybe plain black with a spacer--red, silver, I don't know.

It would be great if someone would write an app for this. Problem is, the worldwide market would be like 6.

Very cool idea and application.

Great tool!

Neat. I've done some work designing knives in CAD and there's always a gap between what I think of it in CAD and what I think of it when it's cut out and profiled in the physical world. Most of my final templates are roughly created in CAD and then adjusted when I can actually hold the steel and look at it from different angles. I'm sure there will be parallels between CAD blade design and the nifty job you've done. Good luck!