Quantcast
looking for first laser gyuto
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for first laser gyuto

looking for first laser gyuto

I am looking to add to my rather limited collection of J-knives. I would like this knife to complement rather than replace my current go to chef knife (Sab nogent). Specs of that knife are 10" and 225g, great steel that is a little soft by comparison to the Blue 1 on my Zakuri (tosa bocho) and the Blue Super of my new Carter (nakiri). I really like the profile of that knife (Sab) and would like something that resembles it to a pretty high degree. I have thought about going 210mm but am concerned that the flat spot may be too short, putting me back in the same spot I was in with my old Henckels-- (accordion cuts), so I am likely to go 240 instead unless there is a nice 210 option with a fairly large flat area. I think I would be fine with either blue or white steel, definitely carbon, definitely wa handle, preferably ultra-light. I also think I would like to try a single steel knife--not san-mai if I have my terms correct. I have one or two specifically in mind, but would like to hear what people think before showing my hand...

I think I may be optically challenged...I can look at knives for quite a while and pictures just don't necessarily help so much...as little sense as that may make...again, I know the profile I like, but can't be so sure I am seeing it until it is in my hand

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
    wa-gyuto, laser type

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
    adding to complement my 10" sab nogent chef's

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
    like: sharpness, steel, edge retention (through steeling), weight, size, will attack anything and not flinch/chip/etc...
    dislike: edge retention (again steeling)

Aesthetics
    a little wabi-sabi(?) is fine, but maybe not too much

Edge Quality/Retention-
    quality over retention

Ease of Use-
    ???

Comfort-
    wa handle, light knife

What grip do you use?
    mostly pinch, but some finger pointing as of late

What kind of cutting motion do you use?
    down and through (push), some chopping, some pull cuts

Where do you store them?
    on counter until i build a new block--they are in sheaths

Have you ever oiled a handle?
    yes

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
    end grain maple and a few others...

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
    a few stones (220, 700, 1k, 2k--plan on adding 5/6k), rods (2 smooth metal and one ceramic), sandpaper

Have they ever been sharpened?
    yes, often

What is your budget?
    ~300

What do you cook and how often?
    a little of everything, 4-5 nights a week plus

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
    Japanese/fine with a cheapo handle so i can use some of the wood i have accumulated from Mark

Thanks folks!

much more awesomer
    The Masamoto KS profile appears to be quite similar to French chef profiles. It's not a laser by any stretch but it is much lighter and thinner than a classic Sabatier.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Engorged Member
    Yoshihiro thin grind gyuto from 330mate on ebay.

I'm gonna suggest Masamoto KS. It's not quite as thin at the spine as a Konosuke or Suisin but you wouldn't know it while cutting. It's thin behind the edge and just falls through food. It gives up nothing in cutting ability.

It also has a profile closer to a sab as well. Awesome for push cutting and I prefer it to the Konosuke/Suisin profile.

It's very light, easy to sharpen and takes a screaming edge. Haven't had any chipping issues even with a pretty steep bevel.

I have heard of some fit and finish issues lately but mine is flawless.

much more awesomer
    Mine is nearly flawless as well. Only issue I notice is a bit of release resistance with smoother foods like new potatoes and cucumbers.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Yoshihiro thin grind gyuto from 330mate on ebay.
    I couldn't find the Yoshihiro...have you used it before? Do you know if it is the same yoshihiro that Jon sells?

As to the KS, curious what the 240 weighs...my Sab 10" is right at 225g and I thought this was fairly light. I was hoping to find something in the sub-150 range. Anyone have spec's on a 240 ks?

much more awesomer
    Well, my 270 weighs 192 grams so I doubt it'll come in under 150.

ETA: A quick Googlescan shows it to be between 162 and 168 grams.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Well, my 270 weighs 192 grams so I doubt it'll come in under 150.

ETA: A quick Googlescan shows it to be between 162 and 168 grams.
    Thanks SameGuy, though not quite as light as I was hoping, but definitely worth considering. I should say that this is really meant to complement the Sab and not copy/replace it, I just want something with more or less similar profile. I really want something super-light/super-thin (though not flimsy).

Gesshin ginga

White steel tadatsuna. Sharpens up to razor easily (which is good, because it needs it fairly often), is super thin (about the same as the Suisin) and given it's grind/dimensions, cuts well even when dull (but who would ever let that happen, anyway).