Quantcast
looking for first laser gyuto - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: looking for first laser gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    The last time I saw Jon, he showed me a flatter profiled Gesshin/Ashi. I think it was a prototype in stainless but I might give Jon a ring.
    That flatter profile would definitely fit the bill if made in wa/carbon...planned on calling Jon anyway and I noticed he now has 240's in stock. No rush so if new profile is coming in the not too distant, this is ideally what I would purchase.

Labor of Love--I will also look at the Sakai's...read quite a few nice things about them and sounds like they too are in the right weight class.

For now sounds like my list is down to GG, Tad, Sakai, and still haven't eliminated the Konosuke though not interested in the hd--too close to stainless for my tastes.

Thanks folks, thought this would be fairly simple choice, but back to about where I started.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    this sounds awesome.
    I thought so. He's testing out a few different prototypes, actually.

Tadatsuna for sure. Extremely thin and incredibly light. IMO the best handles around.

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoNole View Post
    Tadatsuna for sure. Extremely thin and incredibly light. IMO the best handles around.
    theyre pretty unattainable and have been that way for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    theyre pretty unattainable and have been that way for a while now.
    You just gotta know where to look. Takeshi at aframestokyo has them in stock right now (210, 240, and 270).

i know where to look theyve been sold out forever. nice to see some back in stock.

OK, I have been studying the profiles of these and have narrowed/changed my direction. It looks like the Tad and the Masamoto have the closest profile to what I am looking for. Not sure about the Masamoto, but looks like the Tad would need to be rounded at the spine at the least, how about the Masamoto? The Sakai also has a nice profile and appears to be rounded for comfort. Obviously the Masamoto is the least laser-like, but seems to come at least as highly recommended. Ballpark prices are similar between the Masamoto and Tad while the Sakai is less. Again, handles mean very little as I will likely re-handle anything I purchase.

At this point I think I am leaning toward the Masamoto or Tad...anyone who has used all three or 2 of 3 have any input? Mainly interested in feel/profile. I am making the assumption that all 3 are heat treated and ground exceptionally well--any question on any of these knives in that regard--grind is a definite deal-breaker/maker?

Thanks
    one man gathers what another man spills...

konosukes are cheaper than the others mentioned and they have inferior handles which would make them a great knife to rehandle. sakai yusukes are a $100 less than tadatsuna and everything about them is terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Not sure about the Masamoto, but looks like the Tad would need to be rounded at the spine at the least, how about the Masamoto?
    My Tadatsuna has a nicely rounded spine. The choil is rounded as well, but not as nicely as the spine. Very comfortable to use.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love
    i know where to look
    No offense meant! Peace.

The profiles on all the Sakai pattern gyutos are essentially the same, suisin, konosule, Sakai yusuke, ashi/gesshin ginga, tadatsuna, even the mizuno laser.

+ Reply to Thread