Quantcast
Returns - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Returns

I think "expectations" is the key word here. I know that after reading what Mr. Boar describes as "glowing reviews" of Dave's boards, I expected more than I got and I was disappointed. But I see that as my fault, not Dave's.

I have what some would regard as unreasonable standards in some areas and it's up to me to communicate what I'm looking for in a custom made product. In retrospect, I should have described what I wanted and offered to pay a premium price to achieve that end. How the hell is Dave supposed to know what I want unless I tell him? Mea culpa

And I'm sorry, but I don't buy the "get over it, it's going to get dinged up when you use it" argument. I know that when I finally win the Powerball and get my new Aston Martin, eventually some knuckle dragging troglodyte in a Yugo is going to park next to me and bang his car door into mine. But I don't expect my V12 Vantage to arrive with chipped paint and dents.

Some of this community's most fascinating and recurring discussions center around exactly the various meanings of "craftsmanship" and "expectations." I have--quite seriously--considered writing an article on the social economy of how we structure our choices around those values, and what our actions in that light say about us.

As someone who owns a 2005 Honda Civic with countless dings from the above mentioned troglodytes but STILL gets pissed every time a new one appears, I don't think that there is a right answer beyond the utterly unsatisfying but true maxim that clear communication and detailed knowledge beforehand can prevent dissatisfaction down the line. Maybe I'm easy to please, but I can also say that every product I've bought from a vendor or craftsman here has made me happy and seemed to resist, in however small a way, our descent into a soulless world ruled entirely by impersonal market forces and unmitigated by either creativity or human decency. Diatribe over. I love my Boardsmith board.

Quote Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
    ...clear communication and detailed knowledge beforehand can prevent dissatisfaction down the line...
    +1. I've been satisfied with the appearance of all five BoardSMITHs I've purchased. However, I have seen boards that I would have complained about, if I didn't know what to expect. Frankly, I think the onus is on David to make sure his customers know what they should expect. I would look at providing a picture or something prior to shipping. A lot of complaints (legitimate and otherwise) on this forum (and others) get swept under the rug because we value our craftsmen. I wouldn't hold it against the OP.

I'd be bummed out if I got that board.

The same can be said for the granite counter tops I had installed in the restrooms. There is a big fugly wabi sabi spot right in the middle of the exposed edge. Ok, it's a natural material. Turn the damn thing around so it's against the wall!

Not the same scenario but............

Frankly, I think the onus is on David to make sure his customers know what they should expect.

I totally agree. His catalogue shows all these perfect boards so you naturally expect to get one just like that. When I didn't I was disappointed and communicated that to him. He explained what the irregulrities were and I was okay with it. It's all about managing expectations.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Good thread.
    Think it is a healthy and educational discussion.

Imo, the size of the artifact of the board in question + given the shipping/return policy...

= a new owner (expectations again) who should be given some pause...

It is a piece of WOOD fer criminy sakes. Wood is not a uniform material. I guess I am just a wabi sabi kinda guy, but I don't see a problem with the board. That light colored block is problematical, though.....
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    It is a piece of WOOD fer criminy sakes. Wood is not a uniform material. I guess I am just a wabi sabi kinda guy, but I don't see a problem with the board. That light colored block is problematical, though.....
    I agree with you. It is made from a tree, the interior is a lot more uniform than the exterior would lead one to believe, but not perfect. I would take a returned board, would be a lot better than what I am using at home currently.

It's a natural material, and therefor no one should be surprised if it has a little character that comes with it. If I received that board, I may have questioned it's looks, but after a little while staring at it, I think I would have just appreciated it that much more. The question isn't about right or wrong for either the buyer or seller, but comes down to managing expectations. I think the idea of sending a pic before shipping is genius. It would save money in the long run, and any objections or questions would be able to be resolved before too large of a commitment was made. Right now, as it stands, we have a customer that doesn't feel like he was given proper service, and a maker who doesn't feel appreciated. No one is getting what they want at this point. The best anyone can do from this is live and learn, and now it's time to hug it out.

Engorged Member
    After reading all the posts I feel like both are at fault. Dave should have a disclamer about wood being a natural product and you should expect mineral streaks, color variations , small knots, etc.

If I was a buyer and wanted a board that looked just like one in the catalog, I'd ask "Does mine look like the picture?" Caveat Emptor...