Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Returns

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC

Returns

This is my official return policy.

If a customer receives a defective board, I will pay for the return shipping both ways. However, I need proof of the defective nature through photos. A defect is an obvious crack or split that has opened up during transit or happened through no fault of the customer within the first 90 days after receipt. If the board has warped due to prolonged contact with water resulting in splits, cracks and warps, that is not a manufacturing defect.

Occasionally the heat inside a UPS trailer or the pressure of boxes piled on top will result in a crack which I will honor as a defect. Warps caused by shipping pressure will go away once the board is allowed to relax in its new surroundings. If it doesn't relax and flatten, I will replace it. Mineral stains and other natural colorations of a board are not defects. Those were placed there by a natural reaction of the tree to an insect or tapping for maple sap. Those mineral stains are visible in 30 to 50% of the maple I buy and are almost impossible to work around. (I once had a customer who demanded I throw away all the wood that contained mineral stains.)

If a board is damaged in transit, UPS will normally pay for the return but if they deny the damage claim, I will have it returned then pay to resend another board. Otherwise, I will resend once the damage claim is accepted at my expense and wait for UPS to pay for the damages.

If the customer is simply not pleased with the appearance of the board, the return shipping is on the customer. If the customer wants to return a board for appearance questions, I will refund the cost of the board once the board has been received back to the shop. I do not refund the original shipping charges.

What happens to returned boards? The few that are returned are cut up and deposited in the dumpster. Why? Would you use a cutting board that another customer had? Once the shrink wrap is broken, anything can happen and I simply can't afford to take that chance.

As an aside, the photos on the web site are there for illustrative purposes only and the boards received will be different in appearance. The wood from tree to tree can and will vary in shades and coloration. The web site photos were taken of boards that were shipped to other customers and were not taken of special boards made just for photography.

Dave,

Thank you for posting this clear & concise policy statement. I'm sure it will address many FAQ's.

Dave
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Dave,

Thank you for posting this clear & concise policy statement. I'm sure it will address many FAQ's.

Dave

This "clear and concise policy statement" was posted after I get shafted. Sure he will exchange at the tune of $62.85 in shipping for a $90.00 board.

Copy of my email to Mr. Smith is below:

Let me explain my problem with the board I received. If your FAQ had talked about mineral stains or I saw a picture with mineral stains...I would have requested a board with no stains. As it is...I had no idea they existed. I wanted a board like in your flyer/website. I'm sorry for this misunderstanding however I'm not happy with this board. Can it be exchanged with no extra cost to me?

David:

This just an FYI. The shrink wrap on the board that I received from you was broken at several locations when I received it. The feet of the board had punctured through the shrink wrap and the shrink wrap was also torn on the sides.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    mhlee - The shrink wrap is there mainly to give the tape something to hold on to. Since the tape won't stick to the oiled board, either butchers paper or shrink wrap has to be used. Shrink wrap is easier, quicker and far cheaper than butchers paper. And I lost my source on butchers paper years ago. Also, the shrink wrap endures a lot on the trip from the shop to its final destination and I am surprised much of it lasts as long as it does.

As for the OP, I'm not going to engage in a spitting contest on the forum nor will I sling comments around. As for the policy, this has always been the policy I have followed. From now on a written returns policy will be included in every box that is shipped out.

My board has scratches all over it. It looks like someone's been hacking at it with a knife.

Also, there is a spot on the side that looks like someone burned it with a hot iron.

And it smells like Mineral Oil.

Where you going to frame it and put it on your wall or Cut on it? If you wanted an art piece you got one, if you use it, it will eventually get some awesome stains and marks from use. This shouldn't be an issue, unlessyou do plan on hanging it up...

I understand alot of these boards look like art, but a stain? You should be oiling your board, and stain it yourself anyway. I plan on ordering a board from you David, I have alot of maple boards, they are popular from cabinet makers and such up here in Canada, but I plan on getting a massive endgrain maple from you. Your boards are simply a cut above, thank you for outlying your policy here, should result in less issues on your end. Great work as always and look forward to placing my order.

Just so everyone is perfectly clear. I have no intentions of ever returning my board. Best investment I ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    My board has scratches all over it. It looks like someone's been hacking at it with a knife.

Also, there is a spot on the side that looks like someone burned it with a hot iron.

And it smells like Mineral Oil.
    Better start putting a poly board on top. Gotta protect your investment.