Quantcast
Startling Stuff
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Startling Stuff

Startling Stuff

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...gwvpvBUY.email

"Despite only making up five per cent of the world's population, the United States accounts for almost a third of the world's weight due to obesity..."

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

That quote is a little misleading and reading the article it's just a bad in there. Don't know if it was msnbc's sloppy journalism or an improperly wrote study, but it would be ridiculous for any one to believe. Sure it draws your attention but if you look at it mathematically it's easy to see what they wanted to say and not the oddly phased quote above. 5% of the world makes up 33% of it's weight do to obesity? Really if that were true the average European or Asian would have to weigh 30lbs so that I weighing 180lbs could be six times heavier. No instead it wants to say that the US is responsible for 33% of the weight above what they consider average. Which certainly is something but not overly surprising nor nearly as startling as what the badly worded quote in the article would lead you to believe.

I got to tell you, at first I thought that it might be a mistake, that perhaps US accounts for 30% of the 17 million tons overweight, but after rereading the article, the claim is that is 30% of the world population's weight. That is what I found startling.

I will try to find the original study, to see if the article is consistent with it.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Interesting mix of human ecology, obesity, and a random study. Not all statistics lie, but all liars use statistics. It has been a while since I was sharp at the ways you skew P values etc. You are probably up to date on reading that properly. I definitely see a study that could have skewed statistics or at the least a study not taking racial and cultural differences into account. I see lots and lots of invalid studies with poor parameters used for agendas, and taken as fact if mentioned in the news.
    “If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”
    ― Mark Twain

But there's no way that the whole Asian continent is only 13% of the population by weight. There's just way too many of them. 13% of the obesity, maybe.

I'm not arguing the point of the article--by and large, Americans are killing themselves and their children through the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    I'm not arguing the point of the article--by and large, Americans are killing themselves and their children through the mouth.
    +1

It's happening in Canada too. The problem is education. Children are taught what to eat by their parents so guess what obese parents are teaching their children to eat?

A friend of mine doesn't like vegetables (don't ask) so guess what his three year old won't eat?

While I'm having trouble with those stats, I think something is getting lost in semantics, the fact remains that a lot of Americans (and Canadians) are getting huge. I visited my mom last year in Mississippi and it was startling. But then you drive around a bit and see Sonic, White castle, Carl's junior etc. all over the place. You don't even have to get out of your frickin car to get your 10,000 calories! It's not that there aren't choices though. Lots of slim folks at whole foods and the farmers markets.

We've had people ask how we get our kids to eat their food so well, and eat healthy things. They make it sound so hard. Just don't give them other options.

Your kid can't live on candy and soda if your house doesn't have any candy or soda.

Like Burke says, your kids won't get hooked on junk if they don't have access to it.

It's all about what you habituate yourself and your kids to. If you're used to burgers and cheese fries your probably not going to dig a spinach salad. Of course the opposite is also true, I hate that greasy taste you get in your mouth with fast food burgers. I had a can of coke the other day for the first time in a couple years and couldn't finish it. Too sweet.

Being a parent is a huge responsibility that, unfortunately, a lot of people really aren't equipped to handle. It is amazing the power parents have to mess up their kids both physically and emotionally. We've made ourselves so busy that many have cut out preparing proper food, and just "pick up something quick" instead.

There needs to be more education on nutrition outside of the home (school, media etc.). People who eat crap always think eating healthy is waaay more work and tastes lousy. It's hard to convince them otherwise.

North America's ignorance is catching up with us.

Sorry, end of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    We've had people ask how we get our kids to eat their food so well, and eat healthy things. They make it sound so hard. Just don't give them other options.

Your kid can't live on candy and soda if your house doesn't have any candy or soda.
    Agree, I make a conscious effort to feed my kids healthier and waste less money on junk.
    Sorry to all if I sounded oppositional up thread. I am genetically fortunate and whatever I eat I burn off. I am 6'3
    My kids as well are in no danger of obesity, but healthy eating habits are always good to establish.
    I am just annoyed with this being the latest news concern. I don't want chocolate milk banned at school. I am not a fan of the nanny government mentality replacing free choice. I believe in personal responsibility not the government knows best view.