Quantcast
Which gyuto/santuko to buy?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which gyuto/santuko to buy?

Which gyuto/santuko to buy?

I want to buy a good ($200 or less) chef's knife/santoku. I know nothing! I love to cook but have got along for 30 years with crappy knives. suddenly, I want a good one, and i want it to be pretty (sorry. . .I know it's silly, but still. . .). At first I thought. . ."what's the big deal? Go to Williams-Sanoma and buy a knife." I'd never even heard of a gyuto before two weeks ago. I began researcing forums/reviews, etc., and now I'm so confused I don't know what to buy. Please someone help!!

Here's some info about me: I have a small kitchen, small surfaces, small cutting boards. I, too, am small and have small hands. I want a knife (after researching, I think I want a santoku, despite the majority of what i read telling me the gyutos/chef's knives are the only way to go). I am NOT an expert knife user. I want an all-purpose knife for cutting vegies, fruits and meat/chicken. I would not be using this knife for de-boning. I'm not in the kitchen hours every day, but I do enjoy cooking, and often cook for foodie friends. Despite never having an issue with my crappy knives, I now want a "good" one. This much I know: I prefer a Japanese knife, really sharp, one that is easy to use, keeps its edge, is pretty to look at (sorry), and has a traditional handle. I know nothing about sharpening, but I know I can learn.

After reading . . I can't even remember where, I thought I would buy an Akifusa gyuto; but then I changed my mind and decided on a Yoshikane. In both cases, the reviews/postings were from 5 - 6 years ago; nothing more recent. If I buy a santuko (my current preference) I want a 7" blade; if it's a gyuto, 8". I once had a 240mm heavy, cheap chef's knife and HATED the length. But like I said, I'm no expert.

Yesterday, I held W-S's Shun Hiro and Shun Edo santoku knives (7") and LOVED the feel, the design and the lightness of both; especially the Edo. But I don't want to pay $250. Besides, I looked on Amazon at reviews of the Shun (Shun in general, no specific knife) and the negative reviews gave me pause). I also held the Global which I did not like. I'm not even clear why.

I'm sorry if this is the same old question posted yet again. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanes...gozai-funayuki

Will serve you for years. Will look a killer with patina developing on the edge

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanes...gozai-funayuki

Will serve you for years. Will look a killer with patina developing on the edge
    +1 to this if you can wait for him to get some stock in.

I would recommend the Inazuma line from Japanese Chef Knife or Togiharu hammered damascus from Korin.

Every knife will get dull. How are you going to sharpen?

What tk said, or gekko from jck

Carter Funayuki.

Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    If I buy a santuko (my current preference) I want a 7" blade; if it's a gyuto, 8". I once had a 240mm heavy, cheap chef's knife and HATED the length. But like I said, I'm no expert.
    Only thing I would add is that most people would also hate an old heavy 240 chef's knife. Japanese knives in the same length would be lighter and more manageable. Sounds like you would still like something shorter which is understandable...I too would recommend the Carter though it might not be so 'pretty,' unless you find beauty in how it cuts--then it is stunning!

If you did want a 240, there happens to be one here used...

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...24-cm-AS-gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    What tk said, or gekko from jck
    + 1... 210 gyuto.

You won't get pretty from Carter for $200.

210 is to long for her. 180-190 is a great size.