Which gyuto/santuko to buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kate

Reaction score
I want to buy a good ($200 or less) chef's knife/santoku. I know nothing! I love to cook but have got along for 30 years with crappy knives. suddenly, I want a good one, and i want it to be pretty (sorry. . .I know it's silly, but still. . .). At first I thought. . ."what's the big deal? Go to Williams-Sanoma and buy a knife." I'd never even heard of a gyuto before two weeks ago. I began researcing forums/reviews, etc., and now I'm so confused I don't know what to buy. Please someone help!!

Here's some info about me: I have a small kitchen, small surfaces, small cutting boards. I, too, am small and have small hands. I want a knife (after researching, I think I want a santoku, despite the majority of what i read telling me the gyutos/chef's knives are the only way to go). I am NOT an expert knife user. I want an all-purpose knife for cutting vegies, fruits and meat/chicken. I would not be using this knife for de-boning. I'm not in the kitchen hours every day, but I do enjoy cooking, and often cook for foodie friends. Despite never having an issue with my crappy knives, I now want a "good" one. This much I know: I prefer a Japanese knife, really sharp, one that is easy to use, keeps its edge, is pretty to look at (sorry), and has a traditional handle. I know nothing about sharpening, but I know I can learn.

After reading . . I can't even remember where, I thought I would buy an Akifusa gyuto; but then I changed my mind and decided on a Yoshikane. In both cases, the reviews/postings were from 5 - 6 years ago; nothing more recent. If I buy a santuko (my current preference) I want a 7" blade; if it's a gyuto, 8". I once had a 240mm heavy, cheap chef's knife and HATED the length. But like I said, I'm no expert.

Yesterday, I held W-S's Shun Hiro and Shun Edo santoku knives (7") and LOVED the feel, the design and the lightness of both; especially the Edo. But I don't want to pay $250. Besides, I looked on Amazon at reviews of the Shun (Shun in general, no specific knife) and the negative reviews gave me pause). I also held the Global which I did not like. I'm not even clear why.

I'm sorry if this is the same old question posted yet again. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

I would recommend the Inazuma line from Japanese Chef Knife or Togiharu hammered damascus from Korin.

If I buy a santuko (my current preference) I want a 7" blade; if it's a gyuto, 8". I once had a 240mm heavy, cheap chef's knife and HATED the length. But like I said, I'm no expert.
Only thing I would add is that most people would also hate an old heavy 240 chef's knife. Japanese knives in the same length would be lighter and more manageable. Sounds like you would still like something shorter which is understandable...I too would recommend the Carter though it might not be so 'pretty,' unless you find beauty in how it cuts--then it is stunning!

If you did want a 240, there happens to be one here used...

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/7110-F-S-Hiromoto-24-cm-AS-gyuto

Check out the Al Mar Ultra-Chef 7" Damascus Santoku (AM-UC7). Epicurean Edge as well as some other retailers carry it. I bought one recently as a gift for a friend. It's pretty, has very good fit and finish, is stainless, and cuts well.

Enjoy the hunt, and please do let us know what you end up getting.

Regards,

Mark

Btw welcome to the forum. I just bought a Carter Funayuki and I think it will be a good fit.

Good call. Where are my manners?

Welcome to KKF! :D

190 mm Hiromoto G3 santoku from japanesechefsknife.com

Although the AS version would be pretty with a patina on the core.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll buy the Iazuma Santuko from Japanesechefsknives.com. But before I pull the trigger, what do you think of the Hammer Stahl santuko? They're currently offering a "2 for 1" deal until the end of June: http://www.hammerstahl.com/foodandwine I checked a couple reviews of Hammer Stahl, and wasn't that impressed, but thought I'd ask you all before I purchase the Iazuma. Does anyone have any knowledge of their knives?

Since the Iazuma is such a reasonable $$, I figure I can save some money and put it toward a good gyuto in the future. These forums have convinced me the gyuto is a "must have" even for the amateur cook.

Stay away from anything that has granton edges and anything that is made of high carbon German steel aka x50crmov15

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll buy the Iazuma Santuko from Japanesechefsknives.com. But before I pull the trigger, what do you think of the Hammer Stahl santuko? They're currently offering a "2 for 1" deal until the end of June: http://www.hammerstahl.com/foodandwine I checked a couple reviews of Hammer Stahl, and wasn't that impressed, but thought I'd ask you all before I purchase the Iazuma. Does anyone have any knowledge of their knives?

Since the Iazuma is such a reasonable $$, I figure I can save some money and put it toward a good gyuto in the future. These forums have convinced me the gyuto is a "must have" even for the amateur cook.

2 things...NO on the Hammer Stahl, and instead of the santoku then later a gyuto, why not just buy the gyuto? They are both used in the same way in the kitchen and most feel that the shape of the gyuto is a better all around performer.

The Inazuma looks like a fine choice for getting your feet wet.
Good, easy to care for steel, real wood handle, engraved kanji, and a wonderful vendor.
Very "Japanesy"...

But would still encourage the 210 gyuto over the Santoku.

Comparatively, they are both 2mm at the spine so they are thin cutters.
There is only 13 g difference in weight (negligible).

However, the extra 30mm in length will make the gyuto a much more versatile knife yet not enough to cramp you.

* Someone mentioned the Hatorri HD Santoku.
That was my first real Japanese kitchen knife.

Wonderful fit/finish and took a great edge.
But was placed aside fairly quickly after using something longer and thinner (they are 3mm at the spine).
Knife would wedge a bit and w/o added length you are somewhat handcuffed in your cutting motions/options...

I did it!! I bought the Inazuma. . .only, under all the pressure, I bought the Gyuto (210) instead of the santuko. It was $128. Hope I'm not sorry!! Thanks for all the advice; I really appreciate it. This forum was most helpful!

Good for you! Excellent choice, I was thinking about the usefulness of the pointer tip while cutting some avocado last night. There were a few bruised spots that I wanted to remove and the tip of my knife made it much easier to trim the bad without wasting the good!

If you didn't, it never hurts to ask Koki to do a quick once over on the individual knife before he ships... other side of the world and all.

You should be fine regardless.

I did it!! I bought the Inazuma. . .only, under all the pressure, I bought the Gyuto (210) instead of the santuko. It was $128. Hope I'm not sorry!! Thanks for all the advice; I really appreciate it. This forum was most helpful!

Excellent choice.

Back