D. Martell Western Handle Types

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm going to switch to making all of my western handled knives as hidden tang with an upgrade option to full tang (scales) with pins, etc.

Current orders will be made in either configuration done at the customer's choice. I will contact the customer before I start working on their knife to ask them which they prefer. Please don't send me a message at this time, it'll just slow me down. :lol2:

The below images show the full tang w/scales & the hidden tang configurations. Note that the hidden tang will have a full width choil with step down to the tang, this is for strength and less flex.

P1010007.JPG

P1010006.JPG

Here I show a completed hidden tang handle western style gyuto.

*Note - this knife doesn't show the full width choil with step down tang.

Good call. I really like the western hidden tangs.

Looks good and makes sense. Hope this goes well.

Its a win/win stronger bonds because there are less peices to break down. Any shrinking (which is almost inevitable) is not a big deal because there is no steel to compare against or feel. No potential to have spaces between tangs. Better balance.... and easier/less time to execute and less prone to failure.

Have to agree with oivind, integrated bolster with the hidden tang would be awesome.

Its a win/win stronger bonds because there are less peices to break down. Any shrinking (which is almost inevitable) is not a big deal because there is no steel to compare against or feel. No potential to have spaces between tangs. Better balance.... and easier/less time to execute and less prone to failure.

Exactly

Are they all going to have emoto?

I don't like western handles with emoto.
:2cents:

Google is my friend. :D

http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml

OK then now that I know what emoto is I'll say no even though my above finished example show this as being a false statement. That was a messed up lost heel and made due with what was left over knife. Normally I would bring the front of the bolster/ferrule up to where the front of the bolster would normally be seen on a western.

Cool. My only beef with wa-to-western conversions is that they always leave the emoto, and it just feels like and awkward little bottleneck on the knife.

That was a messed up lost heel and made due with what was left over knife.

I'm just gonna call this knife "The Bastard". It's one good looking bastard tho that cuts like a *****....
I'm glad it's mine.

http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jbladeant.shtml

OK then now that I know what emoto is I'll say no even though my above finished example show this as being a false statement. That was a messed up lost heel and made due with what was left over knife. Normally I would bring the front of the bolster/ferrule up to where the front of the bolster would normally be seen on a western.

Nice. I asked about this in your other thread and I think it's a good decision on your part that you're going neck-less.

Latest posts

Back