Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the Togiharu brand?

What do you think of the Togiharu brand?

Personally, I love my Togiharu Inox knife, but I'm not chopping away for hours in a commercial kitchen nor have I tried a million knives out. I like mine, because it's light and I think it's fairly priced compared to a lot of other knives out there.

A lot of people deem it as a beginner's knife to step up to something better in the future, and many try something else eventually then come back to Togiharu. I realize knifes are always very much a personal preference.

What do you think?

1. Is it cost effective?
    2. Is it a good knife in general?
    3. What do you like and dislike about it?
    4. Would you recommend it?
    5. If you have tried it out, which line did you try? (Molybdenum, Inox, G-1, Hammered Damascus, Cobalt Damascus, Carbon?)

Thanks for reading

I almost made the Togiharu Hammered Damascus with first j-knife purchase when I got started at the sushi bar. I was on a tight budget, and really needed a proper Yanagiba, so I went with a Tojiro DP instead.

I think they are pretty, I don't like the looks of them much anymore, but I can see why people think they are pretty(I used to). The cut well, cause they are thin.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I've never tried or even seen one in person. Would like to see how they compare to other knives in their same price range. I work in a heavy prep/production environment and would love to put one/some to the test. hint hint
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

never used one, but my togiharu 1000/4000 combo stone completely fell apart after soaking for 10 minutes, only used it twice. very disappointed
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I need a new slicer. I've occasionally eyeballed the hammered damascus for that purpose.

I have one that is designated for entry level food preppers. It takes an amazing pounding and does the work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    never used one, but my togiharu 1000/4000 combo stone completely fell apart after soaking for 10 minutes, only used it twice. very disappointed
    Oh thats annoying. Just out of curiosity, did you soak the entire stone? You're only supposed to soak the medium stone portion, and wet the finishing stone portion. Did it not come with instructions?

Oddly enough, I have soaked that one completely the times I have used it and nothing bad happened, so I don't know if yours was a defective one?

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Oh thats annoying. Just out of curiosity, did you soak the entire stone? You're only supposed to soak the medium stone portion, and wet the finishing stone portion. Did it not come with instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    Oddly enough, I have soaked that one completely the times I have used it and nothing bad happened, so I don't know if yours was a defective one?
    You're not supposed to, because it can split if you soak the entire thing. It's good that nothing bad has happened yet, but I recommend not soaking the whole thing anymore.

no instructions, I soaked the green half, from previous experience using other similar stones, but that didn't help.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.