The Butcher Block

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
Butcher Blocks

John Boos & Co. based in Effingham, Illinois, is one of the oldest manufacturers of premium quality kitchen equipment and butcher blocks in the United States, and has been in business continuously since 1887. Founder Conrad Boos harvested Sycamore from wooded areas around Effingham, processed it at his sawmill, and then brought it to his blacksmith shop for finishing. The first innovation was a sycamore tree placed on three legs to absorb the shock of the smith’s hammer against the anvil. When the local butcher saw and admired the innovation, he realized that he could use one in his meat market. So Conrad’s son, John, adapted the idea and made him one. This was the start of John Boos & Company making butcher blocks for commercial meat markets over 120 years ago

The factory

XgUnG.jpg
[/IMG]

sLot4.jpg
[/IMG]

13 feet long
uO1rM.jpg
[/IMG]

bit of folk art
UZEuY.jpg
[/IMG]

USS York Town
xonEO.jpg
[/IMG]

NxGH.jpg
[/IMG]

or cardboard in a pinch.
i think someone been drinking the local moonshine.
ykuJP.jpg
[/IMG]

LMAO!!!

I think the lighter off to the side is more indicative of prior activities.

... given that, his line of work, and the fact both hands are not in full view... I wouldn't discount the notion of all 10 digits still being present on this gentleman. :D

Here is a shot on the streets of China, at least they put a sheet down .
PilLc.jpg
[/IMG]

Reminds me of being in Porto Vallarta and watching the guys at the meat market. Very organic!

Back