Looking for knife set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gators

Reaction score
Hey guys. New to forum and looking to get a nice set of knives. I presently have a Chicago cutlery set that was a gift a few years ago. Looking for about 5 or 6 knives for various uses, meat veggies starch etc. I really like the way global feels in my hand but doesn't necessarily have to have metal handle. Will be using whetstone for sharpening and have a maple cutting board. Budget under $500 for the set

Welcome! Hope you drop the set idea. Get a gyuto first and look around to see what fits your cooking style to add to that.

Welcome!
:ntmy:

Don't buy a set. It's a marketing ploy that is becoming outdated--you either sell 7 knives with 2 being ok and 5 cheap junkers, or you sell someone a knife block, and fill it with their money.

You will be shocked how much one good knife will do. Your main knife should do 85% of everything you do in a home kitchen. I suggest people look for their one main knife, use it, get a smaller one to compliment it next(like a paring knife), then figure out what you do a lot of and get a knife to reflect your cuisine(fillet for fishermen, slicer for BBQ folks, bread knife for bakers, etc). You only NEED 3.

There's a sticky in the discussion forum with a questionnaire to help you find the knife for you!

Welcome to the Knut House! There are many threads addressing your question, I suggest looking around a bit to get an idea of the stuff that is coming your way in the way of advice!

Yeah, sets have their place but are rarely the BEST solution. Few, if any, "knife people" use a prearranged set and that should say something to you.

Whenever I help a friend get started I try to help them find what would be best for their needs. The knives I use the most aren't necessarily the ones you would. Eamon is right about the 3 knife thing, I do almost everything with a 240mm gyuto and a 180mm petty, my next most used knife is a 270mm bread knife because I bake a lot of bread. My girlfriend, on the other hand, will do 95% of tasks with a 150mm petty.

So what knives do you currently find yourself reaching for the most?
What have you noticed lacking in your current knives that made you come here?

Why the set? The set you have now how many of them do you actually use? I bet it is not very much. And if you do use all knives is it just because you want to try out the other knife, or the others got dull.

Speaking of dull you would be better off also investing in some stones (if you don't already have some). What do you use to sharpen.

Another vote for not buying a set. Buy two or three good knives you really like and learn to sharpen them. If you need more, pick them up one at a time as you learn. A good wood block isn't a bad thing but just buy it empty!

ok thanks for the good advice, gonna go with just two knives for now. looking at the JCK site, theres so many different brands on there, any of them you guys would recommend for getting ones feet wet? im assuming on some of these to use leather instead of whetstone?

Or maybe this with some waterstones from him. You can give Jon a call he is very nice. He is on this forum.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/gesshin-ginga-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html

Also look up Sakai yusuke wa gyuto on the forum search engine or google. Reasonable price and love mine.
Tojiro ITK bread knife I use for fruits,watermelons,bread, etc and only around $60.
The two above mentioned knives I use constantly, but as first posted can't go wrong with Jon and he is very helpful.

Anyway hope this helps.

Lmao you are a bad man.:scared4::rofl2:

WHAT?! Dave Martell just PM-ed me because he didn't know that they existed. I also will have you know that the knife set is on sale so clearly a bargain. Buy Now!

Never a dull moment with Gusto Grips!!

I tried to use an analogy to explain to a friend why I thought his "dream" set of Shuns (block, knives, rod and all) wasn't the best way to get great knives for his kitchen.

It's similar to audio/video gear. There are a lot of very good manufacturers making a lot of very good pieces, but there aren't any that do everything well. One makes better receivers and amps, another might specialize in TVs while a third makes great playback devices. And none of those three make any speakers worth a damn! Sure you can buy a full set of matching components from Sony, Yamaha or Panasonic, but it simply won't be the best you could get for the same (or less) money buy diversifying.

It's similar to audio/video gear. There are a lot of very good manufacturers making a lot of very good pieces, but there aren't any that do everything well. One makes better receivers and amps, another might specialize in TVs while a third makes great playback devices. And none of those three make any speakers worth a damn! Sure you can buy a full set of matching components from Sony, Yamaha or Panasonic, but it simply won't be the best you could get for the same (or less) money buy diversifying.
Same goes for building a computer from the ground up. Just comes down to how much you value the time you'd spend researching and learning. Most people (in any given hobby/field) would rather just trust the vendors and buy the block (or the Dell), than listen to the experts and figure out what they're paying for in the first place.

Same goes for building a computer from the ground up. Just comes down to how much you value the time you'd spend researching and learning. Most people (in any given hobby/field) would rather just trust the vendors and buy the block (or the Dell), than listen to the experts and figure out what they're paying for in the first place.
+1

I keep trying to tell my family that if I was to build their next comp. it would be better and cheaper. I'll keep with the knives. They at least know I have some that will slice a tomato.

I fully embrace the idea of a set, as long as the set is by someone named Rodrigue, Carter, Devin, Randy etc....

Who was it on this forum with that Carter set?

k.

Back