Quantcast
Holy Crap! - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Holy Crap!

They bottlenecked... Trying to resolve timing issues

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    At this price point, as mentioned else where, Laser cut, cnc parts, assembled and hand finished. These are my design, to my spec, but are higher tech involvement than what I'm branding as my pro series. These knives are using the same steel (CPM 154) and HT as my customs, but remember, more work I do on them, then more we have to charge.

These are not intended to compete with my pro series, or be custom friendly. What you see is what you get. These are intended to be high quality knives, at a price that is attainable by many more people.

Nice stuff. I need to have a few hundred blades made. Where do you get them done?

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Different shops for each, whoever I feel gives the best product.

Someone has GOT to buy one of those butcher knives and show it in use!

Originally Posted by Andrew H
    That's what I assumed. They are also hand ground, yes?

To my understanding, a mid-tech knife is just like a custom knife except that the shape is cut out on a water jet cutting machine. This makes a blank similar to the blanks Jantz or any other knife supply shop sells. Pierre would then grind the profile, heat treat, polish etc etc.

The only thing he wouldn't be doing is cutting the shape of the knife out of a blank piece of steel.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    At this price point, as mentioned else where, Laser cut, cnc parts, assembled and hand finished. These are my design, to my spec, but are higher tech involvement than what I'm branding as my pro series. These knives are using the same steel (CPM 154) and HT as my customs, but remember, more work I do on them, then more we have to charge.
    Pierre,
    Forgive me if I am too dense to get it but does "hand finished" mean "hand ground"?
    I hope you understand this question is due to your excellent grind reputation.

Thanks,
    Glen

For this line Glen, they are being assembled by hand, and cleaned up/sharpened. There will not be any hand rubbed finish's. Majiority of materialwill be removed by CNC, then blended and finished on scotchbrite belts. They will mimic a hand rubbed finish, in the grindlines will be parallel to the spine (If cost permits) The value in this run, is the steel and HT.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    For this line Glen, they are being assembled by hand, and cleaned up/sharpened. There will not be any hand rubbed finish's. Majiority of materialwill be removed by CNC, then blended and finished on scotchbrite belts. They will mimic a hand rubbed finish, in the grindlines will be parallel to the spine (If cost permits) The value in this run, is the steel and HT.
    Thanks for laying it out for us, Pierre!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Thanks for laying it out for us, Pierre!

No problem. I just need to be clear on these. I was approached to design and provide a line of quality knives, that met a foreseen price point. We missed on the original pricing, but were able to source materials and facilities with better pricing, and still able to meet the quality levels I am striving to maintain. These knives will use CPM 154, with a salt bath HT and cryo finish (the same as my custom process) But because they are being done in large numbers, we are able to put them together, and pass the savings to the end customer. The price could have easily been higher, but these are not aimed at the custom folks, or high end knife nuts. More so in a work horse environment, be it a pro kitchen, or at home. Yet the look and feel of the knife, gives it more of a custom touch with the materials selected, mosaics, G10, and the steel itself.

I think that there is an area in the retail knife world for a line like this. There has been a lot of stigma attached to midtechs in the kitchen, which is odd, because there seems to be no issues buying an EDC, or tactical form company ABC that had it designed by Mr. J Doe, and pay $200 to $500 or more. I'm not sure where the separation is. But as I said, I believe there is a place in the market for knives like these.

I want to thank all of you who have shown enthusiasm, and interest in this project, and I am looking forward to getting some of these knives out there and put them to work!
    Pierre

They look great!
    And to further go with Pierre's point, how is a mid-tech any worse than a knife made by multiple people (most Japanese knives)? The answer is, when done properly, they aren't. A good mid-tech shoul always be as good as the QC allows, because the guy with his name attached to it is doing final QC. In the case of Pierre, his QC is second to none (in my opinion).
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I remember when Pierre first started making knives, I was his rodman at the time, he would ask me to take a look at a knife he was near completed and ask me to pick it apart. He always is looking to make things better and improve on his work.