Holy Crap!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
Sweet mother! So anyway the new HTML site is up. I checked back in, we worked out a new pricing list, here are the new blade prices! We are still early in production/planning, but anyway! http://butcherbakerstore.com/collections/blade

Our goal is to provide quality steel, and all but bulletproof construction at a very reasonable price. The balance here for us, is the potential to sell custom, or one-of bespoke knives, at custom prices.

Great site! And works on iPad now! I like the cleaver.

Instead of opening many of the links just switch pictures on my iPhone. I like some things on the site, (the knives, cutting boards seem a tremendous value if the quality is good), but the range of products seems awfully wide. High end custom kitchen Knive next to canvas man purses? Seems a stretch. I'm glad i can finally view it with apple products, hope your personal site will soon follow suit!

Are these for sale now? Because you said you're in the planning stages, but they look available.

Pierre,
Are these knives different in anyway than your customs in terms of how much work you put into them?
They look like great knives.

Pierre,
Are these knives different in anyway than your customs in terms of how much work you put into them?
They look like great knives.
These are midtechs, materials are the same as I use, same HT, just a lot of CNC work. Computers and machines as opposed to hand made, they are hand assembled, polished, and sharpened. The ones in the photos are hand made prototypes.

I believe they are at pre order, still working the timing out.

These are midtechs, materials are the same as I use, same HT, just a lot of CNC work. Computers and machines as opposed to hand made, they are hand assembled, polished, and sharpened. The ones in the photos are hand made prototypes.

I believe they are at pre order, still working the timing out.
That's what I assumed. They are also hand ground, yes?

Do they come with the nose to tail logo on them? Not that it should make a big difference, but it would be cool to see your mark or even unmarked before that brand.

Do they come with the nose to tail logo on them? Not that it should make a big difference, but it would be cool to see your mark or even unmarked before that brand.

I believe they have both Pierre's mark and the Nose to Tail logo.

I'm jonesing for the cleaver! Pierre, could you please share the dimensions and weight.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm jonesing for the cleaver! Pierre, could you please share the dimensions and weight.

Thanks,

Mark

Yep, thought I was the only one not seeing the knife dim.

Great looking knife offerings... pure and simple.
Maybe a parer in the future?

Best wishes on this venture Pierre, looks like a winner!
:doublethumbsup:

Thanks,

Mark

I don't have the weight but heres some info:

CPM154. 220 cutting edge, 110 high. 3/32 stock, distal taper, and full taper spine to edge.

Edit: I also can't wait to get one of these cleavers.

I don't have the weight but heres some info:

CPM154. 220 cutting edge, 110 high. 3/32 stock, distal taper, and full taper spine to edge.

Edit: I also can't wait to get one of these cleavers.
Thanks. The weight will be really important. I hope it's light! Close to 400g would be great.

Yes, that spine to edge taper looked very impressive in the photo.

Looking forward to the first review of it! Who's preordered?

I'll get the weight here in a bit. Just found out there is now free shipping on knives (and orders over $100)! Not sure for how long though. Also spoke with the owner, he will likely be shipping in flat rate boxes in the future, so that will take care of a lot of worries.

Yes all knives are dual branded.

Right now it's 450 grams, We are planning to skeletonize the handle tang, and thin the bolsters a bit, maybe knock a tad off the heel of the knife. Lower the weight some more.

What are your thoughts?

450 isn't bad, but I'd prefer closer to 400. :)

One thing you might consider doing (not necessarily for the weight saving) is shortening the handle. It doesn't need to be that long. Short and fat handles are good on a cleaver.

Looking forward to hearing more about this knife!

Thanks,

Mark

The handle will also be shortened 3/4". That, skeletonized handle, narrower bolster, and maybe some material removal from the tang side of the blade... If I can hit 420, 430 I will be pleased.

That's what I assumed. They are also hand ground, yes?

To my understanding, a mid-tech knife is just like a custom knife except that the shape is cut out on a water jet cutting machine. This makes a blank similar to the blanks Jantz or any other knife supply shop sells. Pierre would then grind the profile, heat treat, polish etc etc.

The only thing he wouldn't be doing is cutting the shape of the knife out of a blank piece of steel.

Please correct me if I am wrong. :D

Got the free shipping email for orders over $100.
It just says limited time, no time frame.

Pierre, can you give some specs on that boning knife?

At this price point, as mentioned else where, Laser cut, cnc parts, assembled and hand finished. These are my design, to my spec, but are higher tech involvement than what I'm branding as my pro series. These knives are using the same steel (CPM 154) and HT as my customs, but remember, more work I do on them, then more we have to charge.

These are not intended to compete with my pro series, or be custom friendly. What you see is what you get. These are intended to be high quality knives, at a price that is attainable by many more people.

Got the free shipping email for orders over $100.
It just says limited time, no time frame.

Pierre, can you give some specs on that boning knife?

13" OAL, Handle is 5 3/8" Blade is 7 5/8"

3/32" stock, distal taper. slight flex.

I don't have the weight.

These are not intended to compete with my pro series, or be custom friendly. What you see is what you get. These are intended to be high quality knives, at a price that is attainable by many more people.

You are going to have to show some people what you get with a full on Pierre cleaver, probably some wicked edge taking beautiful patinaing carbon with some some crazy unobtanium spalted burl and since you live in the land of mammoths, some killer mammoth tooth spacers....:D

When will info on the Pro series be out. I remember reading about it (I think) but don't remember much else!

Back