"waves" and overgrinds?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
Do these necessarily go hand-in-hand? Reason I ask, I acquired a new knife a few days ago, haven't had the chance to use it yet (no time to sharpen) but when giving it a look over I think there's a very slight wave in the blade about 2" in front of the heel but I'm not sure if it's something that'll be easy to fix or if it's an overgrind. The bevels looks to be of a consistent height, just the actual edge rises a tiny, tiny bit.

Is there a sure fire way to find out if a knife has an overgrind?

I tried to take some pics, but the camera on my phone is too crappy to make anything out.

Cheers in advance.
Josh

A wave could be due to an overgrind and underground portion or a bend. It's hard to say without pics. Is it new or used? Usually, these issues are reflected in the bevel shape unless they are sharpened with a lot of pressure or with something other than stones. The bevels are even on both sides?

Yeah, the bevels seems to be even on both sides, to the naked eye anyway. The knife is new, and for what it's worth, it's a semi custom (in the sense that it's not made to my specs but by a custom maker, a la ITK I guess). I'd be confident in saying, there is no bends or torques in the blade.

Cheers,
Josh

Without seeing the blade, I would almost guarantee that it's an issue of someone applying uneven pressure when sharpening. What results is that the bevel extends a bit higher up into the blade face where the person's fingers put pressure away from the edge (i.e. further up the blade). In my own case, about 1.5/2 inches from the heel is where this has occurred for me in the past. Easy fix.

On the other hand, if the bevels are even in height but the resulting edge is not even, you may have a different issue.

Back