Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opened up a kitchenaid K5-A

Opened up a kitchenaid K5-A

I grabbed a K5-A on craigslist this week and decided i was going to re-grease the gears since it was around 30 years old. When I got it, it had orange blotches all over it which I think was the grease and a funny smell when you turned it on. I opened it up and there was alot of grease that was unused but what was on the gears was dried and hard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120622_190842.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	8151

Then I put it back together with no extra parts left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20120622_210222.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	8152

The smell was still there when I turned it on but I found out what that was when smoke came from the back the power cords were on the power supply, getting smoking hot on the jacket and causing the smell. I am letting it cool for a bit but I think all is well with my newest toy. My wife wants it to get painted metallic purple, so I'll keep you posted.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Wow nice. Can't wait to see the end work.

Looks like relatively simple innards. I've been terrified of opening mine up. It won't orbit any more under load. I think something is stripped.

-AJ

AJ here is the link I used to open mine http://artisanbreadbaking.com/ka_greasing/

Those instructions are pretty good and I have no prior experience and little experience working with my hands. The hardest part is getting the part that holds the paddles off. If you have the bigger version like the one I have it is a little different, but I figured it out and can tell you the process. The biggest problem I had was not having a punch on hand to remove the pin that keeps the paddle stationary as the arm spins. I ended up borrowing one from a neighbor but if it would have been a little earlier in the day I would have bought one. It took me about 2 hours of actual work, and an hour or two of reading and researching.

Quote Originally Posted by rahimlee54 View Post
    My wife wants it to get painted metallic purple, so I'll keep you posted.
    Very cool. For the longest time I wanted to get an older K5-A, clean it up, and have it painted a cool color. Can't wait to see the end result.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I have mine on the bench right now. Thinking a brushed stainless finish.

When I went to open up my k5 I removed the back cover and removed the 3 screws that are supposed to hold down that board. Can anyone post an up close picture of how the 1 small screw on the bottom is supposed to line up with the speed lever and the metal spring plate.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Looks like relatively simple innards. I've been terrified of opening mine up. It won't orbit any more under load. I think something is stripped.

-AJ
    If it is a newer model it may have stripped gears.A lot of them have plastic gears now which cant take any heavy loads such as bread dough.

Quote Originally Posted by scotchef38 View Post
    If it is a newer model it may have stripped gears.A lot of them have plastic gears now which cant take any heavy loads such as bread dough.
    AFAIK KA quit making the stand mixers with plastic gears several years ago and I think they only did that in select series like the Artisan.

Dave
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

To rephrase. Can someone please a picture of this area, behind the back cover. I don't know how to install the hex nut and the black plate.