Quantcast
Handle material - What do you prefer - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handle material - What do you prefer

I have not made one with human bone, but I did redo the metal work on a flute made of a girls leg bone for a Tibetan Buddhist monk once. It was an interesting project.

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    Human bone
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Ho, ichii, burnt chestnut, or ebony. I like clean, simple woods. Highly figured woods or burls are too gaudy for my taste. I do love marbled or white streaked horn ferrules.

It has to be a Burl or highly figured wood for me.I find ebony to be soooo vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    It has to be a Burl or highly figured wood for me.I find ebony to be soooo vanilla.
    Hey, I like vanilla - nothing like a nice, homemade frozen vanilla custard

As for woods, I have simple tastes, still like horn and wood combos the best. Sometimes handles with a bling can be nice, but in most cases, I prefer simpler versions (that has actually changed, the more handles I make, the more I like the simple ones). My favorite woods are koa, thuya, amboyna. Never warmed up to micarta or Dymondwood.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtis View Post
    Ho, ichii, burnt chestnut, or ebony. I like clean, simple woods. Highly figured woods or burls are too gaudy for my taste. I do love marbled or white streaked horn ferrules.
    My sentiments exactly. Ho with a marble bolster is my cup of tea. Though I do think ebony is nice on a Yanagiba. Classes it up a bit. Funny, because I have a bunch of stabilized maple burl waiting to go on some hunting/bush knives, but I just don't like it on kitchen knives.

I'm with Stefan on personal wood tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Ive tried a lot of handles over the past years, from plastic, wood, micarta and horn.

What are your favorite handle material and why?
    So we never heard from you...of all you have tried, which do you prefer?
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Actually, we have. Musk ox.

I like black plastic.

Sorry guys.

-AJ

Natural materials for me... I've never had a problem with the regular black horn and ho wood, but I will have all my knives rehandled at some point with nicely figured redwood Burl (just enough excitement with out being over the top like some of the nicer koas) black ferule (either ebony or horn again) and some type of spacer. The spacers are where I give some lee way I've seen buckle silver, tooth, horn, fossil I love it all. Such a small piece of the handle if it's there at all but it has to be perfect. I don't really see the need for end caps at thins time but I've seem some lovely manmouth tooth ones that cannot be beat!

+ Reply to Thread