Quantcast
Mixing Compounds for sharpening?

Thread: Mixing Compounds for sharpening?

Mixing Compounds for sharpening?

has anyone ever tried mixing compounds?

I'm thinking about spraying some felt with both 1 and .5 micron PDP, i normally use the 1 micron by itself just got some .5 in yesterday and only have one strop.

Would this be beneficial at all or not make a difference?

I tried various combination of mixed compounds: mdp, pdp, cbn, Cr2O3 at 1 to 0.1um on glass, oak, balsa, leather backing.

stropping (all)- had best results with mdp/cbn + CrO on all backing - convex side effect proportional to backing softness. Light touches or else must deal with micro burr/wire.

honing (oak) - any combo, where CrO is 2x size of diamond/cbn, scary sharp + durable edge.

lapping (glass/ceramic/pyrex) - very scratchy for all combo sizes until 0.1um, interesting geometry + scary +durable edge.

All edges finished with plain leather strop ~10 strokes per side.

Try this sequence 1K, 10K, 0.5um, 0.1um. Without a microscrope, WAG macro teeth about 3um and smallest teeth ~0.03-0.1um, of course there are many factors in play.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by bluntcut View Post
    I tried various combination of mixed compounds: mdp, pdp, cbn, Cr2O3 at 1 to 0.1um on glass, oak, balsa, leather backing.

stropping (all)- had best results with mdp/cbn + CrO on all backing - convex side effect proportional to backing softness. Light touches or else must deal with micro burr/wire.

honing (oak) - any combo, where CrO is 2x size of diamond/cbn, scary sharp + durable edge.

lapping (glass/ceramic/pyrex) - very scratchy for all combo sizes until 0.1um, interesting geometry + scary +durable edge.

All edges finished with plain leather strop ~10 strokes per side.

Try this sequence 1K, 10K, 0.5um, 0.1um. Without a microscrope, WAG macro teeth about 3um and smallest teeth ~0.03-0.1um, of course there are many factors in play.
    I think you and Tinh (tk59) need to get together.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I think you and Tinh (tk59) need to get together.
    Thanks, I am flatter while wearing a newb hat, much more to learn (yep, already alot from this place). Tinh/tk59 is too far in front, I can't see that far ahead yet.

Funny thing is that I haven't even used any of strops in some time (not even my felt w/ diamond for deburring)...the only thing I need between stones is cork or felt to cut into.

Knives are performing better than ever too.

IMO, if you mix 1 and .5 you are wasting the .5, because there is probably plenty of it in there already.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

The size of a compound is a maximum tolerance, not a strict size. So they are saying that 1 micron compound has particles no BIGGER than 1 micron, but there are particles that are .3/.75/.95/.1/etc in it.

Different types of compounds give slightly different edges, but I've only noticed much of a difference on straight razors.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    IMO, if you mix 1 and .5 you are wasting the .5, because there is probably plenty of it in there already.
    Effectively true for carbon & soft-carbide-alloy steel. On other hand, CrO can't abrade VC&WC, so smaller diamond/cbn/bn will abrade them + clean up the teeth edge where CrO too big to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Different types of compounds give slightly different edges, but I've only noticed much of a difference on straight razors.