Mixing Compounds for sharpening?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
has anyone ever tried mixing compounds?

I'm thinking about spraying some felt with both 1 and .5 micron PDP, i normally use the 1 micron by itself just got some .5 in yesterday and only have one strop.

Would this be beneficial at all or not make a difference?

I tried various combination of mixed compounds: mdp, pdp, cbn, Cr2O3 at 1 to 0.1um on glass, oak, balsa, leather backing.

stropping (all)- had best results with mdp/cbn + CrO on all backing - convex side effect proportional to backing softness. Light touches or else must deal with micro burr/wire.

honing (oak) - any combo, where CrO is 2x size of diamond/cbn, scary sharp + durable edge.

lapping (glass/ceramic/pyrex) - very scratchy for all combo sizes until 0.1um, interesting geometry + scary +durable edge.

All edges finished with plain leather strop ~10 strokes per side.

Try this sequence 1K, 10K, 0.5um, 0.1um. Without a microscrope, WAG macro teeth about 3um and smallest teeth ~0.03-0.1um, of course there are many factors in play.

I tried various combination of mixed compounds: mdp, pdp, cbn, Cr2O3 at 1 to 0.1um on glass, oak, balsa, leather backing.

stropping (all)- had best results with mdp/cbn + CrO on all backing - convex side effect proportional to backing softness. Light touches or else must deal with micro burr/wire.

honing (oak) - any combo, where CrO is 2x size of diamond/cbn, scary sharp + durable edge.

lapping (glass/ceramic/pyrex) - very scratchy for all combo sizes until 0.1um, interesting geometry + scary +durable edge.

All edges finished with plain leather strop ~10 strokes per side.

Try this sequence 1K, 10K, 0.5um, 0.1um. Without a microscrope, WAG macro teeth about 3um and smallest teeth ~0.03-0.1um, of course there are many factors in play.

I think you and Tinh (tk59) need to get together.

I think you and Tinh (tk59) need to get together.

Thanks, I am flatter while wearing a newb hat, much more to learn (yep, already alot from this place). Tinh/tk59 is too far in front, I can't see that far ahead yet.

Funny thing is that I haven't even used any of strops in some time (not even my felt w/ diamond for deburring)...the only thing I need between stones is cork or felt to cut into.

Knives are performing better than ever too.

IMO, if you mix 1 and .5 you are wasting the .5, because there is probably plenty of it in there already.

The size of a compound is a maximum tolerance, not a strict size. So they are saying that 1 micron compound has particles no BIGGER than 1 micron, but there are particles that are .3/.75/.95/.1/etc in it.

Different types of compounds give slightly different edges, but I've only noticed much of a difference on straight razors.

IMO, if you mix 1 and .5 you are wasting the .5, because there is probably plenty of it in there already.

Effectively true for carbon & soft-carbide-alloy steel. On other hand, CrO can't abrade VC&WC, so smaller diamond/cbn/bn will abrade them + clean up the teeth edge where CrO too big to reach.

Different types of compounds give slightly different edges, but I've only noticed much of a difference on straight razors.

:thumbsup:

Back