Quantcast
What I Have Been Up To Lately - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What I Have Been Up To Lately

Thanks for the update, Marko. Looking forward to hearing about the new carbon steel and profile. Saving my pennies for one of your knives!

Thanks, Mark -

I should see some efficiency improvement very soon and that should translate into more knives out.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

A quick update. as of 9/14/2012

- Started on a passaround knife, should have it finished by mid next week.

- Contemplating offering two new types of knives - kiritsuke shaped gyuto and honesuji/petty hybrid. The latter will be single-beveled, with a hollow back. I have made both of these knives and they are currently being tested. I will think of other types I would like to make, most likely knives shorter than 210 or longer than 270mm (most likely slicers).

-Integral bolster knives and western handles knives are coming in the fall of 2012

- Got more feedback on the grind and D handle. As both are still in experimental stage, I request feedback, but no changes were asked for at this time, so I take it as a sign that I might have a design I will stick with.

- Got some new equipment to make my work more efficient, however don't have enough electricity, so will have to work on bringing more power in shortly.

- By the end of the year, I am planning on switching to molted salts heat treatment. There should be some improvement to the knife permanence over the current method.

- As of Sept. 20, I am taking 3 weeks off to visit my family in Ukraine. While there, I am planning on finishing my website and thinking through what I need to do next. Up to this point, I have been treating knife-making as a hobby, but after the trip, I would like to run it as a part-time business, with all cons and pros that come with it.

- Will be putting remainder of my practice knives for sale for one last time. All will come with complementary strops, however most need to be reground to my latest grind, so they will have to be done after I return.

- Should be done with a drop-point hunter in the coming days as well.

- I am stopping taking orders for 2012 effective immediately, thought I will be offering ready made knives for the rest of 2012 and particularly for holidays season. A price increase in 2013 is very likely, as heat treatment, grinding and hand-finishing (62.5-63.5RC hardened steel with increases wear resistance) a blade is pretty time and labor intensive and I didn't factor the latest developments in HT and geometry into 2012 prices.

That's all.

M -

Wow, you've been busy! Looking forward to seeing all the new developments. What does "There should be some improvement to the knife permanence over the current method. " mean? What do you mean by "knife permanence"? Is that the same thing as edge retention?

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks,

Mark

There will probably be 5-10% (estimated) improvement in heat treating metal in molted salts over convection over, as a result of a more uniform heating, as told to me by Devin. This is a relatively small improvement, but I would like to move in this direction as it a faster and more efficient method, and cheaper too - using nat gas is cheaper than electricity.

Also want to add that all orders placed through my website are locked in 2012 prices and whatever arrangements or discounts I offered, I will honor every and each of them. Just remind me if I forget - too many things to keep a track of.

Some didn't received a confirmation after they placed an order, but I have them all on the web site and will go through them in the next 3 weeks and respond.

Heat treatment is responsible for edge stability, sharpness and wear resistance. Any improvement in HT will result in improvement in performance, however small it may be.
    Thanks,

M

I filled out the custom form a little while back and have yet to hear back from you... I'm presuming its due to work load. No worries on my end. But I'll just ask here... Chuka bochos?

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I filled out the custom form a little while back and have yet to hear back from you... I'm presuming its due to work load. No worries on my end. But I'll just ask here... Chuka bochos?
    Every order placed before 10/14/2012 is in.

Chuka bochos? Probably not, as it is one of the knives I am not interested in using myself.

Kiritsuke shaped gyuto
    Honesuki/utility hybrid
    Garasuki (single beveled)
    Yanagi (single beveled)
    Miroshi deba
    Integral bolster knives
    Various shape slicers

along these lines...

Gah crap!! Was I supposed to fill out an order form?!! Damnit we started talking about this knife like months ago!!! I could punch myself right now. /sadface
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Gah crap!! Was I supposed to fill out an order form?!! Damnit we started talking about this knife like months ago!!! I could punch myself right now. /sadface
    Don't worry, you are in. We talked about your knife for some time now. You will get to check one out on a passaround.

I need to get a grip on the orders placed before accepting any new once.

M

Soooo... Are you doing set measurements on those profiles? Or is there a little wiggle room in regards to heel to spine height, spine thickness, taper, etc. ?

+ Reply to Thread