Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Chef Knife for around $300-$350

Quote Originally Posted by TheAndre View Post
    I'm actually going to be in Venice tomorrow morning / early afternoon, if he's open on Sunday I'll check him out.

Not to sound pessimistic though,... but would a Gengetsu 240mm Stainless Clad White #2 Wa-Gyuto being bought at retail ($365 at his store) be better than getting the Shun Fuji 10'' for $300 or the Shun Bob Kramer Meiji 8'' for $280 at auction? They both "msrp" for literally twice the price, and I'm sure there's a pile of marketing going into that, and that Japanese Knife Imports has good prices (or you guys wouldn't have recommended them),...but $300 on auction is pretty damn cheap.
    The MSRP is a marketing ploy and I don't think any dealers list them at that price so they're always on "sale". I would stay away from the shun meiji as I've read that their heat treatment on the sg-2 steel was a bit funny (chippy).

If you want something kind of flashy, the Miyabi birchwood series from sur la table would fit the bill.

ahh those Miyabi Birchwood knives are indeed, very pretty, but...to quote one of my favorite commercials...

"Will it blend?"

ie...is it actually any good?

There is always a good deal on eBay for different knives. Jon has good knives and waterstones and can show you how to use them. Also, he has no need to up sell. He is one of us and if he thinks something else will fit your needs better he will tell you. You will learn from him and reading threads here. I understand the itch to buy, but patient you will thank me. Hope you make our west coast gathering next month.

I didn't mean to suggest that you need to spend $365 to get a knife with mind blowing performance compared to what you're used to with your Calphalon set. The 240mm Gesshin Ginga (stainless, as you want something low maintenance) is $250, and there are plenty of sold options for less than that. Personally, I would rather have a "plain" looking knife that I know to be hand made and prized by serious cooks and knife fanatics than a flashy offering from Sur La Table that is made in a factory somewhere, but if you love the Fuji or the Meiji, far be from me to stop you.

Lots of flashy offerings on this site as well (plus cheap, fast shipping): http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/products.html

I understand, I will be going by Japanese Knife Imports tomorrow in person... however I doubt I will buy when I'm there, as this will just be a preliminary knife test,... I'm not an even remotely impulsive person and plan on doing significantly more research on the matter.

I was playing with the idea to actually get a proper honyaki yanagiba for awhile, as I literally make sushi -EVERY WEEK DAY- for my lunch, but I decided I wasn't properly versed in the care of such, maybe he can help with that?

I was playing with the idea to actually get a proper honyaki yanagiba for awhile, as I literally make sushi -EVERY WEEK DAY- for my lunch, but I decided I wasn't properly versed in the care of such, maybe he can help with that?
    He can help with everything, but I don't think he's open tomorrow (you might call anyway, as he seems to work 7 days a week regardless of what the hours stated on his website).

website says Sundays noon to 5

I understand, I will be going by Japanese Knife Imports tomorrow in person... however I doubt I will buy when I'm there, as this will just be a preliminary knife test,... I'm not an even remotely impulsive person and plan on doing significantly more research on the matter.

He absolutely can help with that. He can teach you how to properly sharpen a single bevel. Btw I have no interest in whether you buy or not, but the knives you are obsessing on aren't the ones knife knuts obsess on. You can do better. You will have a great time at Jon's and learn a lot.

If you want true flash you need to up your game a bit...
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

If you want true flash you need to up your game a bit...
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig