Best Chef Knife for around $300-$350

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAndre

Reaction score
TL;DR: I like the Shun Fuji 10'', what's better / more cost effective for a semi-trained anal retentive everyday chef?

So... I bought a block of Calphalon Katana series knives when I was in college (few years ago)... I loved them then, the best knives I'd ever owned (my parents, and my friends all of course praised Cutco, even when I'd run their knife across my wrist and not even feel the slightest cut...not being suicidal, just being dramatic and ranting about how Cutco blows).

Anyway... a friend sent me a Microtech HALO V for my birthday,...and it occurred to me that while my Calphalons are above the general quality that most people I know look for (I'm constantly praised for how sharp I keep them when my buddies come cook at our weekly BBQs, etc)....they aren't sharp enough.

Not by a long shot.

So, my question is...what should I get? I'm just looking for an extremely sharp japanese style chef's knife, preferably fairly low maintenance... I was leaning towards a Shun Fuji 10'', I really like feel of it, and I can get one off ebay for around $300-$350.

BUT I decided to do a little research before I dropped that kind of cheddar on a knife, because I don't know particularly much on the subject. Found your site, and mass confusion ensued.

I lead a very strange life, and have been obsessing over this for awhile. I need something to cover the following bases very well, I am extremely particular about detail when it comes to cooking, it's what keeps me sane at work (I do front end for a prominent pop culture advertiser in Hollywood, and it sickens me...ANYWAY):

My typical cooking day:
Breakfast (8am): Generally crepes or an omelette, not much need for a knife here. I'm half asleep anyway and would probably cut myself.
Lunch (made at 9:30, eaten around 11 at work): Maki Rolls / Sashimi...everyday, but I don't want to drop the money on a yanagiba just yet, maybe in a few years.
Dinner (around 6:30): switches between various chicken/fish dishes, Caribbean fresh salsas, Chicken Marsala, lemon garlic Sole w/ capers...

I've always favored the 8'' Katana chef knife in my block, for pretty much everything. I use a pinch grip, and love the shape and balance, although I think I want something bigger for making more smooth single stroke cuts.

I have a few sharpening stones, and a honing stick thing, I'd say I'm at about a 6/10 on sharpening, I can get it razor but it takes me a good while. I've never redone profiles or anything like that.

Any suggestions? WHAT out there will cover my needs? Is there something that would suit me better than the Shun Fuji 10'' Chef's knife in that price range? Something that is aesthetically pleasing as well as sharper than the devil's wingtip shoes?

Things I don't like in a Chef's knife: French / German style blades, high maintenance blades, overly curved blades,...

You have come to the right place! Especially since you are obsessing over a knife so much. Suggestions to follow...

Yes, go see Jon at Japanese Knife imports in person and try out some knives. He will be very helpful, and much better to get a feel of different knives in your hand. Probably a 240-270mm gyuto by your description would be a starting place. I think you will be significantly happier than the Shun.

Welcome to the Knut House! There is nothing like a really sharp knife, and when you use one your willingness to spend the effort to learn to sharpen and maintain an edge goes way up. Sharpness is addictive!

Are you in Los Angeles?

If so, I would definitely recommend that you drop by Japanese Knife Imports: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/

Jon (the owner and a vendor here) is extremely knowledgeable, offers unparalleled customer service, and has a wide variety of high end knives (I see Deckhand already beat me to this recommendation).

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, go see Jon at Japanese Knife imports in person and try out some knives. He will be very helpful, and much better to get a feel of different knives in your hand. Probably a 240-270mm gyuto by your description would be a starting place. I think you will be significantly happier than the Shun.

+1. Very much +1. His shop is in Venice. He has a sub-forum on this site, is ultra cool, and you'll have a great time learning about some of the really great stuff that's out there.

And just to be fair: check out the other vendors on this forum. They all have great reputations.

Things I don't like in a Chef's knife: French / German style blades, high maintenance blades, overly curved blades,...

You're talking about the profile here right? So something not too flat or curvy....I would say check out konosuke, carbonext, hiromoto AS, sakai yusuke, or gesshin ginga. If you don't already have them, you'll want a sharpening stone in the 1000 range and one in the 4000+ range.

I'm actually going to be in Venice tomorrow morning / early afternoon, if he's open on Sunday I'll check him out.

Not to sound pessimistic though,... but would a Gengetsu 240mm Stainless Clad White #2 Wa-Gyuto being bought at retail ($365 at his store) be better than getting the Shun Fuji 10'' for $300 or the Shun Bob Kramer Meiji 8'' for $280 at auction? They both "msrp" for literally twice the price, and I'm sure there's a pile of marketing going into that, and that Japanese Knife Imports has good prices (or you guys wouldn't have recommended them),...but $300 on auction is pretty damn cheap.

also... I'm sure the aesthetics shouldn't particularly come into account that much, but the Shun knives are VERY pretty, while that Gengetsu knife is very plain looking.

ie: While it may be a better utilitarian knife, it's not as flashy, and I like flash... people watch me cook fairly regularly (BBQs nearly every weekend, 15-20 people, sometimes we do Iron Chef challenges.... I generally win).

I'm actually going to be in Venice tomorrow morning / early afternoon, if he's open on Sunday I'll check him out.

Not to sound pessimistic though,... but would a Gengetsu 240mm Stainless Clad White #2 Wa-Gyuto being bought at retail ($365 at his store) be better than getting the Shun Fuji 10'' for $300 or the Shun Bob Kramer Meiji 8'' for $280 at auction? They both "msrp" for literally twice the price, and I'm sure there's a pile of marketing going into that, and that Japanese Knife Imports has good prices (or you guys wouldn't have recommended them),...but $300 on auction is pretty damn cheap.

The MSRP is a marketing ploy and I don't think any dealers list them at that price so they're always on "sale". I would stay away from the shun meiji as I've read that their heat treatment on the sg-2 steel was a bit funny (chippy).

If you want something kind of flashy, the Miyabi birchwood series from sur la table would fit the bill.

ahh those Miyabi Birchwood knives are indeed, very pretty, but...to quote one of my favorite commercials...

"Will it blend?"

ie...is it actually any good?

There is always a good deal on eBay for different knives. Jon has good knives and waterstones and can show you how to use them. Also, he has no need to up sell. He is one of us and if he thinks something else will fit your needs better he will tell you. You will learn from him and reading threads here. I understand the itch to buy, but patient you will thank me. Hope you make our west coast gathering next month.

I didn't mean to suggest that you need to spend $365 to get a knife with mind blowing performance compared to what you're used to with your Calphalon set. The 240mm Gesshin Ginga (stainless, as you want something low maintenance) is $250, and there are plenty of sold options for less than that. Personally, I would rather have a "plain" looking knife that I know to be hand made and prized by serious cooks and knife fanatics than a flashy offering from Sur La Table that is made in a factory somewhere, but if you love the Fuji or the Meiji, far be from me to stop you.

Lots of flashy offerings on this site as well (plus cheap, fast shipping): http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/products.html

I understand, I will be going by Japanese Knife Imports tomorrow in person... however I doubt I will buy when I'm there, as this will just be a preliminary knife test,... I'm not an even remotely impulsive person and plan on doing significantly more research on the matter.

I was playing with the idea to actually get a proper honyaki yanagiba for awhile, as I literally make sushi -EVERY WEEK DAY- for my lunch, but I decided I wasn't properly versed in the care of such, maybe he can help with that?

I was playing with the idea to actually get a proper honyaki yanagiba for awhile, as I literally make sushi -EVERY WEEK DAY- for my lunch, but I decided I wasn't properly versed in the care of such, maybe he can help with that?

He can help with everything, but I don't think he's open tomorrow (you might call anyway, as he seems to work 7 days a week regardless of what the hours stated on his website).

I understand, I will be going by Japanese Knife Imports tomorrow in person... however I doubt I will buy when I'm there, as this will just be a preliminary knife test,... I'm not an even remotely impulsive person and plan on doing significantly more research on the matter.

He absolutely can help with that. He can teach you how to properly sharpen a single bevel. Btw I have no interest in whether you buy or not, but the knives you are obsessing on aren't the ones knife knuts obsess on. You can do better. You will have a great time at Jon's and learn a lot.

If you want true flash you need to up your game a bit...

also... I'm sure the aesthetics shouldn't particularly come into account that much, but the Shun knives are VERY pretty, while that Gengetsu knife is very plain looking.

ie: While it may be a better utilitarian knife, it's not as flashy, and I like flash... people watch me cook fairly regularly (BBQs nearly every weekend, 15-20 people, sometimes we do Iron Chef challenges.... I generally win).

I have used all three of those knives and yes, a thousand times yes, the Gengetsu is better than either of those Shuns. It really isn't even close.

As for aesthetics, the more time you spend here, the more you will appreciate the beauty of a "simpler" handmade knife and less and less you will be attracted to factory beauty queens.

I have used all three of those knives and yes, a thousand times yes, the Gengetsu is better than either of those Shuns. It really isn't even close.

As for aesthetics, the more time you spend here, the more you will appreciate the beauty of a "simpler" handmade knife and less and less you will be attracted to factory beauty queens.

See? That's what I wanted to hear.

Although, and I'm sure I don't have to say so, but there's something attractive and pretty about damascus patterns, and an aesthetically pleasing handle... I see these lower end knives that you guys are suggesting, and while I'll probably end up with one of them I can't help but feel a little disappointed that it isn't wavy fun metal...

and if it comes to having to up the anty to the $500 range for a quality hand made blade,...that happens to have those aesthetically pleasing components, then I'll have to just wait another paycheck and do that.

I realize... when I was obsessing over the idea of the honyaki yanagiba I found one in the $1200+ range that was very pretty and had amazing reviews, I actually found it through this site.

But ended up not getting it, I had the cash but family emergencies came up.... which was probably for the best, I would have ruined it.

If you like the damascus look, check out the makers that are vendors on this forum. But the better the knife, the more it will require from the user in skills and maintenance. Once you have used a truly great knife, such as anything from JKI or recommended here, you may care less about flashy appearance and appreciate pure performance.

Welcome!

Although, and I'm sure I don't have to say so, but there's something attractive and pretty about damascus patterns, and an aesthetically pleasing handle... I see these lower end knives that you guys are suggesting, and while I'll probably end up with one of them I can't help but feel a little disappointed that it isn't wavy fun metal...

and if it comes to having to up the anty to the $500 range for a quality hand made blade,...that happens to have those aesthetically pleasing components, then I'll have to just wait another paycheck and do that.

I think you should 'wait another paycheck' and get a Devin Thomas.

Good luck in your search!

You want bling?

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

If you like the damascus look, check out the makers that are vendors on this forum. But the better the knife, the more it will require from the user in skills and maintenance. Once you have used a truly great knife, such as anything from JKI or recommended here, you may care less about flashy appearance and appreciate pure performance.

Welcome!

Thank you. I am extremely well trained in knife use, I grew up learning how to make sushi from a family friend that was an acclaimed sushi chef... however that ended when he died about 10 years ago now (when I was 15). He never really got around to teaching me the proper sharpening techniques though, just the use of said yanagiba and proper cleaning.

Also... I live in Hollywood though... I don't think I'll ever loose my taste for a little flash.

You want bling?

orig.jpg

Yes, that is gorgeous. But...what are we talking here? $2000? $3000? $10,000? more? I'm trying to be vaguely responsible here, I'm only 24....that can come when I've actually established my career.

I'm not sure it's right to say lower end knives. They are leaps and bounds above the shuns. That being said, most damascus blades that are going to perform on the same level as the gengetsu are going to be a hefty bit pricier than what these knives go for. Sure there are going to be people that rave about the shuns, but it's because they haven't tried anything better. Those of us here have, and therefore, we try to guide people towards knives that truly are a joy to use. If they do look a little plain to you, there are ways to spruce them up a bit, like custom handles. If you are truly set on the damascus, and aren't willing to shell out the 900 to 2500 for the ones Jon sells, I'd check out JapaneseChefKnife.com They've got some very nice stuff that should fall close to your budget. Just my opinion...

I'm not sure it's right to say lower end knives. They are leaps and bounds above the shuns. That being said, most damascus blades that are going to perform on the same level as the gengetsu are going to be a hefty bit pricier than what these knives go for. Sure there are going to be people that rave about the shuns, but it's because they haven't tried anything better. Those of us here have, and therefore, we try to guide people towards knives that truly are a joy to use. If they do look a little plain to you, there are ways to spruce them up a bit, like custom handles. If you are truly set on the damascus, and aren't willing to shell out the 900 to 2500 for the ones Jon sells, I'd check out JapaneseChefKnife.com They've got some very nice stuff that should fall close to your budget. Just my opinion...

I would definitely be willing to shell out that amount of money down the line, but I think the more responsible thing would be to start a little lower.

and...I didn't mean to be insulting by saying "lower end", just that comparitively they are the lower end, as in $300ish is MUCH MUCH cheaper than a $2000 work of art knife that I would use until my death bed...and again, being 24, I can't justify spending that just yet.

So I relegate myself to the lower end of the spectrum.

Unless there's someone in LA that will sell me a used knife, and take that Microtech HALO V I mentioned as partial... I have no use for such a knife, and I don't have my concealed carry permit in CA,...just in FL (and the 40ish other states that accept that).

Back