Quantcast
Does anyone tie flys?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone tie flys?

Does anyone tie flys?

Hello, I was working on a awesome project that involved Badger pelts the other day. and I saved bunch of the fur that resulted from processing..

I do not tie flys. Buy I know some guys do. Not sure if anyone can use some Badger fur. Or even if its desirable for this. but figured I would offer it to you guys
    If you would like some. Let me know and we will work out the details..

NOTE.. Im not selling this stuff. I am offering it for free. Message me for details.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

That is a very nice offer. People definitely do use it for fly tying. It's on my to do list in my retirement years. Looks like a lot of fun. I am sure you will make some people very happy.

DarkHoek (Harald) just got into fishing flies in a big way. I'm sure he could put these to use.

What about contacting a custom shaving brush maker?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Shaving brush would be cool! I dont have a whole bunch but probably enough to do a couple of shaving brushes.. Im not sure what length the fur needs to be on a shaving brush and if this stuff would work or not?

I have had a few guys on other forums ask for some so I will send them there's tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

God Bless
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Oh dude that is a great idea, the shaving brush. I bet Butch would know a thing or two about that.

I tie flies, salt water though and for bigger game so I think the badger hair would be a bit short for my needs. Awesome offer though and great re-purposing of something that would other wise be trash.

K-Fed, These look awesome, Thanks for showing the photos. I have some that is 3+" If you want some, message me your shipping info and Ill select some of the longest hair and send it to ya!

Availible Knives

Typically, for a brush knot, you'll need about 60mm, and then it gets shaped, clipped (from the bottom), tied and epoxied together. That gives the brush maker tons of play in the brush to have varying lofts.
    There are many grades of badger hair, with the soft foot/ankle fur being pretty highly sought, I believe. If it's soft, it should be perfect. If not, marvicide can take care of that.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Sweet that would be awesome. I'll make sure to take some pics of the flies I tie with it and anything I catch on them. Maybe a fly tying WIP perhaps.