Media Stained Glass Window Sushi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
Okay, here it is. Enjoy!

[video=youtube;oLwe3uEiuAk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLwe3uEiuAk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks for watching.

Great job Rick. you still are no where close to being as good as MASTERCHEF Giovanni.

Beautiful presentation, too.

I'll ask my questions here, too... How do you make -- and stabilize -- the dashi foam? And is the coating just a standard breading? Did you use panko?

DUDE!
I watched your video while eating my traditional bacon, eggs, potatoes & heavily buttered toast breakfast and it made me plan a Sushi Fix at the dealer down the street.

YOU ARE A VERY BAD MAN!!!

PZ

Very nice. You made it look easy but still very tricky. I love the idea of having the fried on the outside with raw in the middle. I don't read many sushi cook books. Very well done.

Beautiful presentation, too.

I'll ask my questions here, too... How do you make -- and stabilize -- the dashi foam? And is the coating just a standard breading? Did you use panko?

Thanks!! The foam was made from chic stock, mirin, dashi, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, wasabi powder, yuzu, salt and pepper, then stabilized with soy lecithin and aerated with a hand blender. Breading is a standard breading setup. The panko was pulsed finely in the robot coupe.

Great job Rick. you still are no where close to being as good as MASTERCHEF Giovanni.

I know I know I'm still working on it. One day I too will get to criticize Jacques Pepin for making a French omelet. :D

Thanks!! The foam was made from chic stock, mirin, dashi, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, wasabi powder, yuzu, salt and pepper, then stabilized with soy lecithin and aerated with a hand blender. Breading is a standard breading setup. The panko was pulsed finely in the robot coupe.

Seems like some of the more subtle things would get lost, in the foam, after wasabi powder chic stock, pepper; but I don't know how flavor changes in a foam or proportions of ingredients.

Maki looks like it would be quite good. I can definitely see that as something Morimoto would do, some of the stuff he comes up with makes me laugh at the absurd brilliant fusion.

Seems like some of the more subtle things would get lost, in the foam, after wasabi powder chic stock, pepper; but I don't know how flavor changes in a foam or proportions of ingredients.

Maki looks like it would be quite good. I can definitely see that as something Morimoto would do, some of the stuff he comes up with makes me laugh at the absurd brilliant fusion.

It was really just a dashi foam with subtle hints and notes of different flavors. It's not like you could taste the wasabi per se, just to kind of sneak around your palate.

Looks good. Sushi is one of those things I'd love to learn to do well, I'm truly awful at anything delicate though.

On a side note, how do you find the Tanaka gyuto? And is yours in R2 or SG2?

Cheers,
Josh

R2. I've been wondering about the new sg2 though..

Sorry if this is a stupid question but... why the meat wrap and frying? I haven't seen it before, but maybe it's a common thing to do in some places. Wrapping things in meat usually makes for tasty food, but I wouldn't have thought of doing that to sushi.

Wrapping things in meat usually makes for tasty food,

I didn't have to wrap it in prosciutto and fry it, this roll was a Morimoto dish though so he must be on to something because it tasted super tasty when I was tasting how it tastes.

I have some ideas for an original mosaic roll that I may share soon.

I've seen crazy maki pattern rolls made. Someone even did a Barack Obama one. I don't know that some of them would taste good, but they sure as hell look cool. It really just depends on how hard you're willing to "geek-out" on it when you are putting it together.

When I made it I wanted to be authentic to the video...flour, egg, panko. But I could also see doing it with dehydrated parma...almost as a dust. There is a lot of sweetness in the roll....so I feel you need some Umami on the outside for balance.....just my 2 cents.

The nori is the umami. The breaded prosciutto is for richness and knocking socks off.

Latest posts

Back