Dark Subterranian Mutants

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Most of these blocks are cut from a strange mutation that can happen with Redwoods underground. In the roots a growth that is shaped like a big zucchini can happen. This is not a true burl but can have similar eyes and figure. The wood is a lot darker because of the minerals absorbed from the ground. I don't know if you would call this rare, but is is not a normal occurance.

In the photos I placed 2 normalish pieces of Redwood to give a color comparison.

The 1st photo is under florescent lighting without flash. The wood looks kind of chocolate brown.
The 2nd photo is with a flash showing how when the light hits it from an angle, orange and gold colors appear.
I will put these blocks in our webtore pretty soon.

002-13.jpg

001-16.jpg

Looks crazy. Are they denser than "normal" redwood?

Wow! the one above the flame is awesome! Second down in the center.

Lmao I was probably referring to one of the normalish blocks after rereading your comments, but all of it looks good.

Someone needs to put one of the swirly pieces on a feather damascus knife. It's almost like a radial curl. Very cool stuff.

Someone needs to put one of the swirly pieces on a feather damascus knife. It's almost like a radial curl. Very cool stuff.

Well, crap. I wish you hadn't said that. I'm supposed to be checking out some feather damascus this week. I already have too many blocks of wood sitting around.

Back