Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpened my first knife with the Edge Pro.....wow!

No offense meant by this, but I got a better understanding of sharpening by abandoning my Edge Pro and switching to stones. The edges that I now obtain on my knives are not the world's best, but are far superior to anything that I could get on the EP.

So while the sharpening bug bit me while using the EP, graduating to stones gave me the better results. You might want to consider that before investing more into your EP setup.

However, run with what works best for you. Have fun.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said: "I drank what?"

Mine showed up today. I'm going the opposite direction from freehand to fixture....just had to do it. I'll report back one I get to play a while.

PZ

I'm glad that you like it! I had a similar reaction the first time I created and in-humanly perfect, mirror polished bevel on my EP in less time than it normally took me just to raise an even burr by hand.

Pablo, I really like your "jump in and try everything" sharpening tool rampage you've been on recently. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the EP going from freehand to the EP.

I also started with freehand sharpening: began when I was a kid and all I had was a cheap oil stone from my father's shop and some scraps of sandpaper. So, I knew the basics of sharpening long before I got my edge pro, but I didn't feel like I really every scientifically experimented with different angles or compound bevels. I had a guess of the kinds of angles that worked best and some theories about compound bevels, but the EP was the first tool that really let me easily delve into the minute details of edge creation. It allowed me to take some of the "human factor" (wobble, alignment, consistency) out of the equation and experiment and observe with a very fine level of detail. I could start with a factory angle and slowly reduce it till I got past the point of what the steel could take, observe the signs of failure and then slowly add a micro bevel, thin behind the edge, ect and see what improved durability while maintaining the same feel of the very acute angle. Experimenting with different levels of polish on different steels, grit progression, pressure and scratch patterns... it was all much easier and clearer than freehand. I learned more about sharping and what makes a good edge for a given knife and task in a few months with the edge pro than I had in the past few years of freehand sharpening.

I have no doubt that the EP made me a better freehand sharpener.
    I'll also note that I have the "Pro" model. I debated between the two for awhile, but I'm very happy with my decision. The Apex is a mass-produced product and, from what I can see it's a very solid device, but the Pro model is handmade (the base is a heavily modified/beefed up panavise) and has this awesome feeling to it like an old machinist tool. The extra adjustability angle range, and arm length are also nice.

I did buy the 15K chosera for the EP . The idea of the jnats for the EP sounded appealing just because it would be a way to try them out for a faction of the cost of a full size slab of gourmet rock, but every piece of stone is unique so the results wouldn't necessarily translate. Also, I learned that even if I sharpen on the EP, I still like to polish/ finish by hand: mainly because I like the micro-convening that happens with a little bit of natural hand wobble.

I still sharpen by hand more often than I do on the EP, but I'll never sell it.

Justin, as far as j-nats for the edge pro go vs free hand ones. Yes there is variance, but they are sooo worth it. Love them.