Food Wabi-Sabi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybett

Founding Member
Reaction score
The Wall Street Journal, in the weekend edition, had a book review on three books about food. This paragraph caught me eye.

Mr. Desrochers and Ms. Shimizu write as you would expect academics to write; their prose is clear enough but rarely rises above the pedestrian, and in places they get bogged down citing other authorities when what we really need is just a clear exposition of the ideas. Still, they do get off the occasional zinger. Some growers, they write, "now send their worst produce to farmers' markets because customers think that imperfections and blemishes are an indicator of authenticity."

It makes you wonder if some knife makers do the same thing.

Jay

Maybe in New York, butt here the produce is impeccable.

At the Saturday Santa Monica farmer's market, one of the largest in LA, some vendors put visually imperfect products aside and sell them as "ugly" seconds at discounted prices. These are some of the best bargains anywhere.

I just bought 3 lemons (grapefruit sized) because they were at the top of the trees, so no one wanted to pick them, for one dollar. I just weighed them. The total weight of these three lemons is 2 lb 12 oz.

Oh ya, Wall Street Journal- mega bull sh!t rag. Totally worthless

I never see knife makers selling their knives at farmers markets.

Back