Quantcast
best stone for toothy gyuto edge - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best stone for toothy gyuto edge

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    I agree with red aoto as well. I usually strop quite a bit after it then finish on takashima and get a very sharp toothy edge that lasts. If I use synthetic before takashima similar edge but more refined and doesn't last half as long.
    +1 on takashima.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I already have the suehiro rika, so if that's close to as good as it gets for a gyuto, maybe I'm set.

Well, it can get toothier by dropping grits, or using certain Natural Stones with certain Steels, but that stone leaves a lot of bite for a 5k stone.

If it's not aggressive enough for you, you can always strop it a few times on a good 1k stone when you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Well, it can get toothier by dropping grits, or using certain Natural Stones with certain Steels, but that stone leaves a lot of bite for a 5k stone.

If it's not aggressive enough for you, you can always strop it a few times on a good 1k stone when you are done.

+1

For toothier edges than my aoto will leave I'll stop at either 1k or 1.2k and strop a little more on the 3 micron diamond before finishing on the 1 micron. Leaves a great edge for slicers and general purpose cutting if you're into that sort of thing. I usually sharpen my sujis this way.

So far, my favorite all-around finishing combo is gesshin 4k and then Takashima. It creates an edge that is both refined, yet still plenty tooth enough to bite. However, you could also get pretty good results by just using the 4K and then stropping / polishing the teeth on charged leather or whatever you like. The scratch pattern off of the 4k is just very nice and even.

If you wanted a one-step/stone finish, then Dave's synthetic blue aoto would be my choice. It's supposedly 2K, but feel finer. It creates a lot of mud and does a good all on it's own of leaving an edge that is both toothy and refined. It's certainly toothier than the 4k & polish combo.

I can't get my hands on a decent priced Rika 5k in the UK, it's gonna cost me the same amount to ship. What do you think of Naniwa Super 5K and Sigma Select II 6K?

I'm not a big fan of the naniwa super stones (slow, dishes fast, gummy feeling) My choice would be the sigma II even though I haven't used it.

ha, I was leaning towards the Super Perhaps sigma be better for carbon Heiji.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have the sigma II on the pass a round. It is a 1.2k and it is a good cutter, very little dishing and no mud. Not sure about the 6k, but if it is line with this one it would be a good stone.
    Chewie's the man.

If you're in London you're welcome to try my chosera 5k, king 4k, shapton 4k, or indeed any of my other stone/knives

Getting stones in the UK can be expensive, if you haven't already try looking at Eden web shop, dictum, dieter Schmidt as they have better selection and prices than I've seen locally