Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best stone for toothy gyuto edge

best stone for toothy gyuto edge

I'm looking for a new finishing stone for my gyutos. I have some in white steel and O1, cpm154, skd11 etc. Currently I'm using a bester 1200 and lightly stropping the edge on a jks 10000 or rika to refine it just a little and remove any large burr. While I'm getting good results, I'm wondering if I can get better results with a stone in the 2000-4000 grit range. I'm looking at the gesshin 4000, but it seems kinda spendy. Opinions?

Maksim's Red Aoto.

I can't tell if I'm being fully objective, but I prefer the edge it gives my knife over just plain 1K/5K strop. I've tried 1K/5K/Red Aoto strop, and without strop. The addition of the stone seems to make a difference to me.

Does it work on high wear resistant steels?

Strictly as a finishing stone? I've used it on a carbonext and suisin's inox honyaki to date. Worked on both fine, though to be honest I preferred the feedback from the stone when I was sharpening the carbonext vs the inox.

My experience is limited in that regard, so if anyone else could chip in... maybe Maksim himself? He has a pretty good returns policy if you are upfront with your expectations and he will take you through what to possibly expect. As I understood it, he tries all the stones he uses himself so he can address variances. Hope this helped.

i still prefer the suehiro rika 5k. a strong runner up is the gesshin 4k.

i like the edge that i get in a kitchen for veggies, raw meats, etc from the rika 5k and i always strop on newspaper. i have looked for quite some time for an edge that could shave and still feel toothy. this is what i have found that works the best for me.

side note, my full lineup is beston 500 or gesshin 400, bester 1200, blue aoto 2k, suehiro rika 5k, kitayama 8k, back to suehiro rika 5k for microbevel, strop on newspaper. i dont always use the full lineup but this is the stone setup that i have been most impressed with
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

I like the bite off a rika, not bad at all for a 5k. You could try a jnat

I go from a shapton 2k followed by just a few trailing strokes on the Gesshin 5k and call it good. Pretty reasonable bite.

I agree with red aoto as well. I usually strop quite a bit after it then finish on takashima and get a very sharp toothy edge that lasts. If I use synthetic before takashima similar edge but more refined and doesn't last half as long.

While I don't have a red aoto, I do really enjoy the edges off my regular aoto for general purpose cutting. It's got great bite while still feeling refined enough that it doesn't feel like you're cutting with a hack saw. Love the splash n go factor for touch ups too and bring this one to work with me often.

I like my chosera 5k, now its broken in it leaves a great balance of polish and bite. To the naked eye the finish can look courser than the choc 1k, but under magnification you can see the scratch marks have much less depth and are very regular. Lots of regular little teeth has got to be good for the effect your after