• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

240 Masamoto HC, light use

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanusInTheGarden

Reaction score
I am posting for sale a Masamoto HC. Only four months old, its a great cutter but the size isn't quite what I wanted and it didn't quite fit the specific duty I needed it for (I was looking to use it as a replacement for having 2 knives on the line but I prefer to have different knives for different tasks after all). As a prep knife, however, I have really enjoyed it and I hate to see it go. Unfortunately, I can't afford to keep this one and buy the next one simultaneously so here we are.

I asked Koki to pick out the best one he had when I bought it and he came through--the F and F is higher quality than other Masamoto HCs that I've come in contact with. As it has been used, obviously there is some patina--especially around where my fingers rest during pinch grip.

Going for $170, shipped continental U.S. Pictures to follow on next post. PM me for more info/purchasing.

For more info on the knife itself, see BDL who loves the heck out of it. http://www.cookfoodgood.com/?p=190

DSC05116.jpgDSC05118.jpgDSC05119.jpgDSC05122.jpgDSC05124.jpg

Don't mind the purple electric tape. I'll remove it along with any possible residue before it is shipped. I use it to differentiate my knife at work.

Call it a custom handle and sell it for $270 :D

PRICE DROP $160. Heck of a deal for a custom handle if you ask me, huh Lefty?

What are these guys made of?

Takefu V2C. In terms of how it feels on the stones and how it takes an edge, its somewhere between a semi stainless and aogami. Edge retention is better, in my experience, than the more pure carbons and it takes a really excellent edge, but its not quite as buttery feeling on the stones as the hitachi carbon steels. I guess the most accurate reference to it would be the Misono swedish, except its not very reactive by comparison and it doesn't feel so rough and scratchy on the stones.

just curious what did you do to remove most of the paint?
looks like regular cleaning with a scrubbie.

Paint? As in the lettering or the original temporary protective coating? I never took any abrasive scrubbies (like metal or even scotchbrite) to it but did rub it down with a wet/soapy towel on the reg to keep it clean. That may be what happened. The lettering has also faded into the blade as the knife has become darker with patina.

Just got word that this knife may actually be SK3 steel--which actually makes sense. So its either Takefu V2C or, more likely, SK3. Full disclosure--its important.

After a little more research, I've actually seen other folks declaring the steel to be a variety of things so here's what we'll do: its a carbon steel that sharpens very easily but not as easily as white or blue. It takes an awesome edge that it keeps for longer than white or blue. It doesn't form a patina very quickly which improves ease of maintenance. The steel type is just a mystery.

Ok truly final price drop. Cannot go any lower. $140 for a well respected, classic knife to add to your repertoire.

That truly is a ridiculously good deal! Wish I was in the market...guessing it will be gone shortly. GLWS

Not sure why this is still here. Looks like its in great shape. If people are worried about it being in a pro kitchen, Just looking at the knife you can tell he took care of it. I have pics (which I will post in a few) of not so much taken care of. Get this steal while it's here.

I'm surprised this is still here. I kinda want it, myself. Too many nice blades for sale these days...

You might be right about SK105 (what SK3 is called nowadays), however I tend to associate Misiumi alloys like SK105 with Masamoto Tsukiji and Takefu with Masamoto Sohonten.

And never forget that unlike many people I could be wrong.

BDL

Can't believe no one bought this.. Just cuz the HC just get as much lip service as it used to. I absolutely love mine or I'd be grabbing up this one.

Have one last deal in the works this week:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back