Trying to pick the 2 best blocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
One of the guys here wanted me to pick out two of the best Koa blocks from the newest batch.

[video=youtube_share;l_tgo2LDjE0]http://youtu.be/l_tgo2LDjE0[/video]

WOW Mark, beautiful Koa. Lets see if I can be of helo here..
I would choose the bottom right and middle left.
But the top right and bottom left are also amazing.
Now that I look at the video again I would say the middle right and top left are the ones!!

yea...
close your eyes and just grab 2 there all amazing!!!

Hmm, Pesky perhaps...middle left, top right.

Hmm, Pesky perhaps...middle left, top right.
+1
The wavy lines that go through the blocks lengthwise add an interesting pattern. But, really, choose any two at random and you'd be good. Not sure that helped, but there you go.

Regards,

Mark

Yup, those are pretty, too! So are top left and bottom right. :)

Like Johnny.B.Good the Middle right is my favorite followed by bottom left. I didn't specify originally due to the two blocks needed. I understand they are all pretty. For me it comes down to visual tightness of grain alignment and how it runs in the block perpendicular to the edges.

Middle left is my favorite for sure...But i seem to gravitate towards diagonal cut pieces...not sure why.

This is interesting diagonal vs perpendicular. Neither is wrong or right. It's like a personality test.:D

On second thought it is too hard to tell from the video. Go ahead and send them my way and I will make sure to pick the two best ones....

One man's meat is another mans motorcycle.

:)

I prefer "straight" horizontal lines across the block, but they're all nice.

Like this?
3743a.jpg

That diagonal line constitutes a defect, I want my money back!

That diagonal line constitutes a defect, I want my money back!
I used to try to cut the blocks so the lines in the figure were straight instead of diagonal. Then a few of the guys here asked for diagonal so I started cutting both ways.

Here is a bad photo of the ones selected plus my 2 cents worth of opinion how to use them. (trying to make them monkey proof)
The top piece looks bad in the photo but when you turn it just a little the diagonal lines triple in number and light up.
001-17.jpg

That top piece was my favorite. I like the orientation you chose. Would love to see it after its metamorphosis into a handle.

That top piece was my favorite. I like the orientation you chose. Would love to see it after its metamorphosis into a handle.
Me too!
I probably need to send Dave a piece so we can see how it looks on one of his new hidden tang western handles.

That's a nice set, ist that other piece some of the perverted redwood? :) You seem to have an endless supply of beautiful koa. Still envious, but at least I got my hands on some of my favorite types in the meantime, I tend more toward the darker old growth pieces. I have a feeling that each of the ones you showed will look beautiful in the end.

Stefan

Back