Thread: Sharpening

Sharpening

Hi all,

I know this has been covered, so you probably just want to direct me to where.

Anyway. I have Shun, Henkels, Dexter. I have made them all into 15 degree angles with the Chef's Choice Asian sharpener.

I also have a King waterstone, KD#1000 S#6000.

Should I NOT use the Chef's Choice and hone my skills (no pun intended) on the waterstone?

Thanks,

Dennis

Engorged Member
    yes...free hand sharpening is far more rewarding than using the Chef's Choice...plus you can thin the shoulders of the blades while you're at it. This will give you even better performance with the knives.

Welcome to KKF!

Welcome to the Knut House! 15º sounds a bit steep for the Henckles and the Dexter. Do you get much edge rolling?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Yeah. Try the stones. If you mess up, you can reset on the Chefs' Choice, maybe. With regard to the 15 deg bevels, you get edge rolling faster that way but I used to use mine that way. My old Henckels parer is still set at 15 deg. You can put a microbevel on it, too, if you want.

Welcome Dennis! Free-hand sharpening can be very rewarding...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Free hand is the way to go

Gadget/gizmo free zoner here as well...

I would say pick a knife out of the bunch to practice free handing on, and compare the edges between the chefs choice and free hand. I would bet that you will be suprised how quickly your free handing skills will allow you to create edges that far surpass the chef's choice.

They should call the Chef's Choice the Chef's Knife Eater.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig